V

I, by any means, had no intentions of spending the night on Harry's couch while he slept on the floor. But when I woke up, I was utterly confused to smell coconuts and mint on the warm gray blanket. I quickly pulled my face away from it and remind myself that Harry had been sick for the last two days and basically cocooned up in it. I'm surprised I'm not feeling a stuffy nose coming but I'll give it a few more hours.

I moan groggily as I sit up and stretch my hands in a V shape over my head, feeling the satisfying crack of my elbows before letting them fall and my shoulders slump into my lap. Harry is still asleep on the floor and I instantly feel my heart twang in guilt when I see that he's in a fetal position and practically shivering since he's cover-less. I'd been hogging the cover from him.

The blanket is dropped back over his body and I stand to my feet, grabbing my phone from the coffee table and checking the time to see that it's six am. The sun hasn't broken out through the clouds yet, but the sky is lightening so It's coming.

China had texted me last night, but the messages mostly consisted of her teasing me about getting dick from Harry and asking if I'm spending the night. I'm guessing she took my lack of a response as a yes since she sent an eggplant emoji with the thumbs up.

Giving Harry one more look, I lean down and ruffle his hair, which was now frizzy and soft from lack of attention. He shows no sign of waking up, his body being completely stiff as face into a hard frown.

I've never known him to look so frigid in his sleep, but I think nothing of it as I stand back up and make my way to his bathroom to do my business, feeling content with the night. I didn't care how I got to spend time with him, only that I got to do it. I loved taking care of him and I hope he saw that. Should I wake him before I leave? No, I don't want to interrupt him. Sleep is the best medicine.

Maybe I should make him some hot chocolate so when he gets up he can have something warm to drink?

No, it'll be cold.

I hate that I'm overthinking it so I exit the bathroom and take down my half-done braids, letting my hair fall over my shoulders as I shake the waves out. Harry is still on the floor, so I whisper a simple goodbye that I know he doesn't hear and walk out of his front door. The sun was now fully rising and I'm glad. I haven't had any experience driving in the dark.

Today will be a good day. I think to myself as I unlock my car door and grin to myself. Being near Harry puts me in a good mood. Now, I have an excuse to come back. I can just check on him again today. Or maybe tomorrow. He did say he lost his phone so I don't want to wait for a text. I think he'll look for me to call me back. He'll want to.

Right?

What if I only annoyed him yesterday? Pushed him and made him feel like he had to accept my helped to get me to leave him alone?

Oh god, the butterflies I just had were now turning into violent moths. Surely, he would have told me. He's never been shy about telling me I'm irritating him.

I finish the drive to the apartment and by then, I've convinced myself that I'm looking too deep into it. I'll see him tomorrow just to check on him and we will go from there.

I step out of the car and jog into the apartment lobby, quickly greeting the leasing agents and making my way to the elevator. A family of three rushes out and I give them a casual smile and nod as I go in and press the button to get to our floor, my hands carrying the dry groceries I was never able to bring home yesterday.

Home.

It feels so weird for my home to be a small apartment shared with a close friend but I can't say I hate it.