Chapter Twenty Two

David's P.O.V

The Resignation

A cold draft- caused by the window I left open last night, is the only thing that wakes me. I groan as the air hits my bare back, but then my eyes fly open. Season appropriate weather- how odd.

Summer's extended halfway into fall by now- whoever's in charge of officially changing that schedule might as well go ahead and do it. Winter temperatures rarely happen anymore, so when they do- it trends on every social media site. Sure, it's nice being able to go to a Christmas party in just a t-shirt, but the implications that come with that are what bothers everybody.

The planet is dying- and quickly. To make matters worse, it's not even the time period that people would consider winter ten years ago. It's early 'fall'.

So as I get up to close the window, I'm even more shocked when I look outside and there's snow on the ground. Snow? No that can't be right- it was almost eighty degrees outside when I went to bed. Another blast of cold air runs through the window, bringing me to my senses, and I quickly shut it. The metal lining my window- and the glass itself, is cold to the touch.

I think I own one winter coat. Either way, I can't avoid going outside today. Today marks a time period that will change my life forever- again. I find an old button up in the back of my closet and throw it on, shivering at the temperature of my room. After I brush my teeth, I discover the winter coat actually fits pretty well- so I throw that on too.

Normally- my assistant's across the hallway in her room, but she's back in Pennsylvania visiting family. As the majority leader, I live in DC full time.

  I turn the Keurig on, and when it's finished brewing in my tumbler- I add mocha syrup and almond milk. Today, the senate has two resolutions to vote on and a debate. I'll make my announcement after we're done- even though it's expected to go into the night and my colleagues'll probably want to kill me for taking five more minutes of their sleep.

  I close and lock the door to my apartment with my finger-chip. I have two other properties, but this ones within walking distance of the capital building- so I spend more time here than anywhere else. When I finally make it out the door, children are playing and adults are celebrating the snow. Internally, I shake my head. Most of them aren't thinking about how bad of a sign the snow really is. This early in the year, the only explanations that our planet's developed some sort of bipolar disorder due to climate change. I sigh and continue on my short walk.

I'll have to admit- I miss waking up and seeing ice hanging off of trees. It always meant we'd have the day off from school, just like now. The looks on kids faces now are smart- almost, like they know the likelihood of getting a weather day off again are slim to none. I don't even have the proper shoes for the weather, and my dress boots do little to protect against the cold- so my feet have barely managed to fit into them with two pairs of socks. I should probably get to the capital building early, but my face is already red, and the smells coming from a café on my way there are just so tempting. My mouth waters, and my feet fight with my brain by steering me in it's direction.

When I push the door open, it jingles- and I cringe. Most people in DC- hell, everywhere- recognize my face and name. It's gotten annoying after sixteen years in the senate, and sometimes I wish I could just crawl into a hole and die without anybody noticing. Then I think of the influence that comes with my position, and I smile. I've done things- good things in my time in office.

  I've also done some things I'm not so proud of, but so has every other politician. A few shady things to get much more important bills passed is nothing in comparison to the good.