Chapter Six

It's been almost a year since Joseph's last visit. It's understandable- of course. He's busy helping form what is still a very new democracy, at only seven years old. They only finished building their capital building last month, and parliament finalized their constitution a year ago- so it's safe to say a full transfer of governmental power from the crown to the capital building isn't a process that can be compressed into just a year like Joseph has originally planned.

His heart was in the right place though- and still is. During the time that he had full power, homosexuality was legalized and he completely got rid of all of his fathers sexist policies. The most memorable event these past few years involving him- one that just about the entire world had their tv's on to watch- was when he ordered that a prison his father built( a.k.a it was just a giant torture chamber) be demolished. Almost half of the country was there that day, cheering as the symbol of tyranny fell. Joseph and members of parliament stood off to the side- letting the people have their moment, but afterwards- he shook hands with the prime minister and each member of parliament to congratulate them on their elections.

He opened up trade- which his father had almost completely closed. The first trucks that came in contained massive amounts of books- all of the books that his father would've rolled over in his grave at.

Parliament is set to vote on legalizing gay marriage in just four weeks. It's expected to pass in a landslide- but we're still crossing our fingers. As much as we want to have faith in them, these are people who were raised- most of them for thirty years or more- to believe that gay people should be stoned.

I think finding out their king was gay changed a lot of minds quickly, though- since they'd also been conditioned to believe that the crowned prince or king should be worshipped like a god. Joseph didn't want that, of course. He instantly rolled back any laws requiring citizens to speak only kindly of the royal family, and opened the castle for anybody to tour.

There's even talk about them joining the United Nations, but if they do- that's at least ten more years into the future.

Yesterday, Kyle managed to calm Mina down long enough to tell her her brother was visiting. She's still reasonably upset with us, but at least shes not yelling at me now. I Stand in front of the mirror, contemplating my decision. Did I make a huge mistake?

  Well- either way, it's done now. I can't just go back and say "lol jk". I'm in it until we win or lose.

  I tap on Marisol's name for what's probably the tenth time in the past twenty four hours. It rings for about thirty seconds before going to voicemail, so I try again- my heart beating fast. No answer.

  I give up and click on Joe's name instead. He- at least, picks up. "Why hello friend." He says."Trying to get to my wife through me?"

"Something like that-" I admit. "Is she home?"

  "She doesn't want to talk to you. I've tried to tell her it has nothing to do with her but she's still pissed." He replies.

  "Joe- please." I hear him sigh on the other end and call her into the room.

  "Honey- the campaign manager wants to talk to you about something." He lies.

  There's silence on the other end while the phone's being transferred from his hand to hers, but when she picks up- I'm reminded of how much I miss calling her my friend.

  "What is it, Kayla?" She answers.

  "It's me- please don't hang up."

  Silence.