Chapter Five

I take a peek outside of the curtains of the DC meeting. Last night, Ryan wrote the outline of my speech, leaving sections blank for my brain to fill in. A few hours ago, press were informed that the vice presidential announcement would be made around noon- here. They've since gathered in front, with speculation swirling around why it would be made here and not at the California headquarters.

I've been watching the news and some senators names are floating around- but my name's only been brought up by a few different stations. I may have been leaked as one of the possible candidates, but with me not publicly taking about it, I wasn't at the top of their coverage list. Good- the campaign'll get more coverage after the announcement that way.

Some of the interns already know- but the rest, as a whole- will be informed shortly before the press conference. They already suspect, with Kyle and I coming here yesterday, of course. "Hold still, please." Kendra says, concentrating. Oops- I think I messed up her blending.

"Sorry-" I mouth, but she shushes me as she outlines my lips.

"Save the talking for the speech." She applies a red lip. By the time she's done, it's been almost thirty minutes- and we have to be out there in five. She reaches behind her and grabs the garnet bag she brought with her, unzipping it. "The presidential outfit. My gift." She pulls it out, and I almost frown. It's beautifully professional, but it looks- exactly like she said- presidential.

"Kendra thank you but- have you forgotten I'm not running for president? I'm just-"

"You're not just anything." She interrupts. "You are the badass that stopped a terrorist attack, imprisoned one of the most wanted drug lords in the country- killed somebody while they had a gun to your head multiple times, and solved highly dangerous cases that would've taken anybody else months. No offense- The likelihood that you'll ever become the president is low but not zero, so I'm going to put a version of you out there that looks like both."

"Seconded-" Kyle says, standing in the doorway. "You're fucking gorgeous."

I give him the "not now" look, smiling. "...Should I go?" Kendra asks. I shake my head, finally accepting the outfit from her. It's a black, fitted dress and blazer with white cuffs- without that ugly collar thing you'd see on a lot of them.

I step out of the line of eyesight for anybody in the mail room and pull the dress I'm wearing now over my head - I've got a tank top and short on under it anyways. After the dress has been zipped up- and Kendra yells at me for ruining her(my) hair, I slip on the pair of flats I wear all the time- since nobody's gonna be looking at me feet anyways. Well- maybe they will. You never know.

I walk out of the room, facing the interns now. If they didn't know before, they do now- before I've even started speaking, because I've got that look on my face and in my current outfit. "Excuse me- can I have everybody's attention for a second, please?" Most are already looking at me- other than one of the graphic designers that has his headphones in. The girl sitting next to him almost violently jabs his shoulder and motions for him to listen.

I take a deep breath before I start speaking. Every pair of eyes in the room is now on me. I notice an intern in the corner filming- but don't say anything.

"I've never thought of myself as a politician. But the more I thought about it, my brain told me- tough shit, Lauren. You're a politician by association. Then I thought about it even more- and I started to see and accept that my speeches have inspired real change." I pause for a second. "Every single person in this room has watched the 2023 trial by now. That was the second hardest thing I've ever had to do. The first was this decision- because I know the second I walk out those doors, there is no going back and my name will not leave the media's loud ass mouths ever again. Then I decided- you know what, fuck em'. Because I didn't accept this nomination for them. I accepted it because- no offense to Marisol or my husband, there has never been an elected female Vice President. I understand that it'll happen in this election regardless- but that's exactly why I'm here. The other two top contenders were men- and with me accepting this nomination, I cement that the 2032-2036 Vice President of the United States will be a female." I stop for a second to let myself breathe.