06 🗡 Hair Ornament

Start from the beginning

"I'm not sure where the real Da Xia is. If my body didn't have a soul and I took over Da Xia's body, does that mean she's dead?"

"Since I was pulled into your world, then Da Xia might be in this world too," Meili responded.

"I'm worried for her."

"Although she is a weak 'awakened' one, my apprentice has a bit of qi in her core and she is a dark arts practitioner. She will be fine." The witch stared at the petite girl thoughtfully before adding, "I am uncertain if your return is something permanent or temporary. But if you find yourself back in my world, stick with that warrior as you travel to find the old hermit in North Mountain country. According to what I've read in the pages of the mysterious book, he is part of the Southern Guardians sect – the most elusive and secretive sect in the empire. Perhaps he could help you in finding the key to us switching worlds."

"Southern Guardians sect..." the petite girl murmured, as though recalling something. "My notes! And the book translation! Where's my bag?" she asked hurriedly.

Oreo threw the bag at Ace, and the latter pulled the documents from the bag before giving it to Dana. She then skimmed through the pages and pointed at a particular page.

"The story didn't change," she stated. "Here, Yong Jie encountered Cheng Bai alone. I was not written in it, though it was both of us who met the Snow Cloud disciple. Did the contents in the ancient book change?"

"No. I also noticed that the story written in it did not change even though I came here," Meili remarked. "Perhaps the contents written in the book would not change even if the events were altered. And there are things written in it that might still happen albeit rather differently, like meeting that Snow Cloud disciple for instance. Even if it was you and Yong Jie who met Cheng Bai, it did not change the fact that Yong Jie met Cheng Bai."

Dana and Ace nodded in agreement, while Oreo, who was still slumped on the floor, was unable to process anything anymore. He was also glaring at anyone or anything that produced a sound. With his stress level skyrocketing, it wouldn't be surprising if a demonic voice would come out of his mouth anytime soon.

"One thing I'm also curious about is why and how Meili's soul and body were transported to our world while only your soul was pulled to her world," Ace told Dana. "And if Meili's speculation that the real Da Xia is in this world, then does that mean Da Xia is now soulless because you're here?"

With Ace's words, Meili's expression turned restless. "Only dark arts practitioners could sense if a body doesn't have a soul," she commented. "To other people, Da Xia might appear like she's in a state of eternal sleep."

"A coma?" Ace frowned and asked, "Wouldn't the warrior abandon Da Xia if her body doesn't wake up?"

"It is likely that a Southern Guardian like him would do exactly what you said," Meili sighed heavily. If something were to happen to Da Xia's body, her apprentice wouldn't be able to go back and would be guided directly to the gates of the underworld.

"He won't abandon me," Dana murmured, her mind picturing the gentle gaze behind the sharp eyes of the warrior she had accompanied day and night, the flowers in the forest he would usually put on her hair as an ornament, the small flickers of fire he made to comfort her, and the red scarf he gave her. "He won't abandon me."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I—" Dana gasped as she placed her hand on her chest. "Something's happening. I feel like I'm being yanked by something."

Meili hastily formed a hand seal and touched Dana's forehead. She then spoke urgently, "Maiden, remember my words. Find a—"

Dana collapsed on the bed before the witch could finish. The two young guys jerked back in alarm and watched with their mouths partially open as the girl's body became immobile again.