Weak Cuddles

This is a sequel to "Overworked."

"Father, I was just concerned. Nothing more." Zelda snapped.

"You can't just hug a knight like that. You have dignity and honour to keep."

"Wouldn't you rather me be friends with my knight than hating him?"

"Zelda, I'm concerned for your safety! You can't get too friendly. He's a knight; you're a princess." The king scolded. "Sir Rohnos will be with you until Sir Link wakes up."

"Not until he wakes up! Until he recovers! This will happen more often if you don't let him rest!"

"I- Zelda, ZELDA!" King Rhoam boomed as Zelda turned on her heel and started walking toward the infirmary.

***

"Princess?!" The Castle Doctor yelped as she came in. 

"I wanted to check on Li- on my knight." She corrected. "To see how long it will take him to recover."

"Well, we put him in a private room so he could be unbothered."

Finally, someone who understands that he isn't a machine, Zelda's mind snapped. "May I visit him?"

"Of course."

She was lead to the room by an apprentice and immediately locked the door once the assistant had left.

Link's eyes fluttered open from the commotion. "Princess...?"

"Shhhh... lay back down. I'm right here. Just rest." Zelda assured him. 

"Zelda, I'm so tired-"

"I know. Rest."

Not even realizing what he was doing, Link put his head on Zelda's shoulder and rested there, drifting off to sleep. Zelda smiled, ruffling his hair gently and giving him a kiss on the forehead. She knew she loved him. She just wished that she was allowed to.

He squeezed closer, so Zelda pulled him further into her lap. Her own eyelids started getting heavy. She wanted to stay like this forever: cuddles, nobody interrupting them, just the pure bond that was there.

"I'll make sure that you can get a week of rest. I promise. Even if it means that I have to stay by your side the whole time, so be it."

"Thank you... Zelda..." Link wheezed, not willing to move. "I... I love you."