"What do you mean?" I have a feeling he already knows.

"You know what I mean," I say, and Knox gives a barely perceptible nod of his head, but he still looks at me like I'm crazy for saying it. I sigh.

"Like, why like me out of everyone here? I'm just some half human girl who came here, started a war, whatever. Me..? I don't get it."

"Mia..." Knox reaches for me, but I'm already pulling away and starting to pace, working myself up by what I'm saying. I'm the kind of person who talks a lot when they're nervous like this.

"Like, I'm not perfect, my face still gets all red sometimes, I have freckles."

What if he really doesn't like me? What if I'm just embarrassing myself? Oh my god. But I'm too nervous to stop talking now.

"Mia, stop," Knox says, but I can't seem to. Of course I like Knox, but why would he like someone like me? Someone not nearly as good as the hundreds of options out on the paths right now. Someone who belongs here. Why would anyone like me? Nobody ever has at school. I was never super insecure, but being in high school- come on, everyone is a little bit. I was never the popular pretty girl. Especially with social media, I tended to look harshly at myself sometimes. And most of these elven girls look exactly like the perfect people I would see on Instagram. And Knox is, of course, perfect as well.

Knox and I are good friends. So the feelings I have for him are so much more than just the fact that he's literally the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

I've never felt like this towards anyone before. Am I scared of the feelings? Is this me trying to make up excuses as to why I'm not good enough so I don't have to face what I'm feeling?

"And, god, on Earth every boy sucked, and I thought 'why would anyone like me?' Like, really, why? Especially here. I'm not very strong compared to elves, I get scared easily and I'm selfish sometimes. You guys are all perfect."

As I continue to talk Knox takes a few steps closer to me, a look on his face I haven't seen before.

"I mean, I'm kinda pretty, okay, but all the other elves out there are perfect. I just don't get it. And maybe this will make things awkward and I'm sorry, but I just-" I pause, thinking of the right words in my rant. Where was this all coming from? Part of me had no idea, but part of me knows how at times I've felt... lesser when I'm around beings as perfect as elves. Not that anyone has been anything but kind to me, but sometimes I can't help but notice how perfect they are and how I'm still just not.

Knox touches my shoulder to try to get me to stop pacing, and says my name again.

"Are..." Knox starts. He takes a breath. "are you asking if I have... Feelings for you?"

The way he says it makes me cringe, and I back away from him a step.

"I- I mean, yes, but- Oh god I'm sorry, we can still be friends, obviously." My face is hot. "Yeah, no, of course, course you don't have feelings for me," I mumble, embarrassed, forgetting he can definitely hear me, "why would you-"

"Mia," he says, his serious tone enough to get me to stop rambling. He just stares at me for a second, like he's waiting for something. I stare back, not stepping back even though we're closer than I thought we were. A small smile graces his lips.

Then Knox takes my arm with one hand, my face with the other, and pulls my mouth to his.

And just like that, all the tension that had been building in between us snaps like a brittle rubber band.

Shock fills me at first, but then this feeling I've never felt before. My whole body feels alive with electricity at his touch, a breathtaking sensation filling me up like warm honey.