Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Wade paused for a long time. He took a deep breath and I could hear him crying. Niall was trying to get my attention from the other side of the table, but I couldn’t hear him. It was like I was only tuning in to hear what Wade had to say. He was going to tell me something bad, I knew it. My stomach felt like it twisted in knots. The silence felt like hours until Wade finally spoke again.

            “Jason died, Ariella. He’s dead!” Wade shouted.

My heart dropped. I didn’t believe him. I couldn’t believe him. Jason couldn’t be dead. No, not him. The man who saved my life couldn’t be dead… I refused to believe it. Was this some sort of sick joke? Wade would never pull a prank like this.

            “I didn’t protect him like a brother should have. I didn’t keep him safe. I guess I was too wrapped up in the case. I have to wake up every day knowing that I didn’t save him, Ariella. I should have done something… I’m so sorry. I miss him so much. I don’t know what to do. I can’t stay in the United States anymore. That’s why I’m leaving…”

I got a bit encouraged, hoping that maybe he would move to the United Kingdom.

            “The FBI says there’s a job available in a country east of the U.S. That’s where Cecilia and I are going. It’s invisible on a map and I’m not allowed to tell you what it’s called… I guess I just called to say goodbye. Just remember that I’ll never forget you, Ariella. I care so much for you. Please don’t be sad. Please don’t go looking for me… I can assure you that you won’t find me. It’s been a privilege to know you. Tell Emory goodbye for me. This won’t be the end though. This is only the beginning for me. I’m getting a new start… That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Who knows? Maybe one day we will meet again. If that should day should never come, then I wish you the best of luck. Goodbye Ariella. I promise I’ll by no means ever forget you.”

Wade breathed one last time and the button clicked, letting me know that the voicemail was over. I stayed completely silent for a few minutes before dropping the phone and crying. Niall moved over by my side and just held me without saying a word. We must have stayed like that for hours, but he never said anything. He just held me tight. And to me, that action was more meant more than any words could describe.

            When I mustered up the strength to tell Niall what happened, he cried with me. That night we took flowers to the beach and let them float away in the water. Seeing them drift farther away and slowly melt away into the horizon was almost heartbreaking. That simple action gave me closure. In a strange way, it helped me let go of Jason. Flowers were gentle and beautiful, like Jason’s soul. Releasing them made me believe that he too was released from this world and into a more beautiful place, far away from here.

After that, I made sure I didn’t cry anymore for him. It got hard for me and even for Niall. After all, how do you really say goodbye to someone you loved?

However, weeping for him was exactly what he would have never wanted. Letting go of him was hard. Knowing that I would never get to see him again made my heart ache.

Jason’s death helped me more than I even realized. It helped me cherish things and people more. It also strengthened the already strong bond between Niall and I. We grew together through the experience and became even closer.

Sadly, the last day of our honeymoon approached. Niall and I weren’t looking forward to the end of it, but we were excited to see all of our family and friends. Niall sighed as the two of us finished packing our bags and locked the beautiful beach house up.

“I’m gonna miss this place,” He said.

“Me too,” I agreed.

“Lots of great memories…” He murmured.

I blushed and looked down. Niall pinched my cheek and laughed hysterically.

“I’m so glad I was here with you. Through the ups and downs you never fail to be there for me. I love you!” I said.

“I love you more, Mrs. Horan!”

“On a more serious note, thank you for being my rock when we got the news about Jason. I know it hurt you too because he meant a lot to you as well…” I told Niall.

“It was so unexpected. I still can’t even believe he’s gone… But hey, husbands are supposed to be there for their wives.”

He put his arm around my shoulder as we stepped onto the boat waiting at the dock for us. We rode to the main island where the airport was. Shortly after arriving there we dropped our luggage off and boarded the plane. As we took our seats, Niall sighed.

“I had the best time with you,” He said quietly.

For the rest of the plane ride, Niall had his arm around me. He eventually fell asleep. The rhythmic sound of his snoring kept me at ease. Despite the business going on around me, my eyelids started to droop. Slowly I slipped out of consciousness and thoughts of all the events that happened throughout the past week swirled around in my mind. I dreamed about home and reuniting with the ones I loved. Also, deep in the subconscious area of my mind, thoughts of Wade and Jason danced around; thoughts that brought back a familiar ache that shattered my heart at the notion of Jason’s death.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What did you think? Let me know. :)

Sorry for another late update!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. :) What kind of things did you ask for?? Did you get anything that was fabulous? Let me know! :)

Love, RelentlessChaos <3