Natalie

I sigh as I finally finish puting everything away.

I bet mom is impatiently waiting for me to call her.I did promise her to call every day.

Mom picks up almost immediately.'Is everything alright,honey?I was worried because you usually call before 12....'

'Everything's fine,mom.I was just busy.I'm all settled now.'

'That's great.'After a pause,she says,'I was worried if you'd be fine,but it looks like you really needed the move.You sound happy.'

'Yes,I am.I needed a change.'I divert the topic.I don't want myself or mom remembering about the past anymore.'How's Mike?'

Mom sounds a bit embarrassed.'He's right here,next to me-'Before she can finish,I hear Mike's voice,'Hey there,Nat.'

'Hi,Mike.'

'Don't worry,I'll take good care of Lorraine.'

'I know,'My throat suddenly feels tight.Mike's a good guy.They deserve each other.Why is it so hard to meet the people who are so right for you?But I'm glad that mom finally found the right person.

'Well then,I'm be hanging up.'

'Take care of yourself,sweetie,'I hear mom say as the call ends.

I lie down on the sofa.It's the only furniture I brought with me from home while moving.It holds a lot of memories for me,none of them pleasant.But still,for some reason,I dragged it here with me.

I don't want to remember,but the memories come back anyway.

All the times dad was shouting at mom,and I was curled up in the couch,sobbing quietly.The times when he was angry at me.....When he was raising his hand to-

I shake my head,trying to get rid of those  images.I'm no longer that little girl crying on the sofa.He's dead, and he won't be able to hurt me or mom anymore.But my chest still feels heavy.

I scold myself.The reason I moved here was to turn over a new leaf,not to remember the past again.

I lay down for hours,until it's time for dinner.

                                                           ***************************

An old lady nods at me,and I smile back.She gestures me to come over.

When I go to her,she says,'I haven't seen you around before.Are you new in town?'

'Yes,I moved here a couple of weeks ago.'

'I saw you at the supermarket too.It's good that you're hardworking.Most young people this days are so lazy,'She shakes her head.

'Natalie!'The manager calls out loudly.'Go to table 6!'

I hurry to the table in question with the tray.

(Note:The chapters will be from alternate POV,odd for Josh and even for Natalie.I hope this is a good read.)