Chapter 3: No Pain No Gain

I sigh and step off of my porch and onto the stone path leading to the driveway, keeping my head down as I walked. I watched the stones pass by until it was black pavement I was stepping on. I passed by our dodge ram and turned left onto the curb. My side of the street doesn't have a sidewalk, but, who needs one right?

I mentally played dramatic music, as if I was in a movie and my life is super sad.

I walk down the street, looking at a few of my old friend's houses. I say 'old friends' because they left me. Not all at once, but one at a time. I'd try to get another friend and they would leave me like the previous.

Like this one girl named 'Candice'. She was my first friend, until she got popular. We used to be un-popular, and then she discovered boys exist. She just started acting really slutty around them. Haven't heard from her since.

The next house belonged to 'Danielle'. We used to be un-popular as well, and then it's almost as if Candice offered her a contract to be popular and Danielle just got up and signed it.
I've always denied the fact that she probably just wanted to steal her from me, after awhile Candice got bored with Danielle and moved onto other friends. But by the time I got back to Danielle, she had already discovered new and 'cooler' people.

And the last house held a girl named 'Amiee'. She was a little psycho. It's almost like I was her boyfriend and she was my stalker girlfriend. I'd be walking down the street and she'd run out of her house like she was waiting in her window for me. It was her calling me 24/7 and if I didn't answer, she was at my doorstep, knocking on my door and looking in the windows. Talk about obsessive. She'd also do these little tests, like, we'd be in her kitchen, drinking water, and then she'd pretend to choke to see if I would save her! Like, jesus, who does that girl think she is? I tried to stick around since she was my only friend, but then a new girl moved to town and immediately got popular, bringing Amiee up the popularity chain with her.

Seems like my whole life, I've always been the gullible sidekick.

I make another left onto a short street with a sidewalk. The walk to my school is pretty long, but I kind of like it because it's quiet and its practically the only down time I get. When I'm home I'm usually playing videogames, or playing with my brothers. (but mostly the first one).

I usually play videogames with a guy named 'Connor', I met him while playing Gta5 one night, and we've been playing together ever since. I feel like he only sticks around because he doesn't know how lame of a life I truly have.

Normally I pretend that I have to go out with friends or to a party before leaving the chat, when really, I'm going downstairs to get some milk.

I stopped at the end of the block, waiting to cross the busiest street.
It was the Main Street that went through my whole town, and no matter what time of day it was, there was always at least 3 cars on it.
I heard the cars whizz by, feeling the breeze as they gained speed. It smelt like gasoline, not a surprise. I kind of liked the smell, I don't know why, but I think that's normal.

The smell of gas kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and me and my parents would stop at the gas station.
I would ask if I could pump the gas, and then I would stand by the nozzle and take a deep inhale, loving every intoxicating smell of gasoline.

Then of course my dad would take the pump from me and use his skills to get the price to a whole number. Kind of cool when I was a kid, but not much of a magic trick anymore.

I see the cars stop and the light turn green. I check my surroundings before crossing the street, making sure there weren't any crazy people on the road. My mom has always been a little overprotective and I think it's rubbed off on me. I've never done anything I wasn't really supposed to do. Maybe that's why the other girls left me, because I was too dull.