Chapter 5

I stared at my feet as i attempted to make my way through the crowded halls of my school, meanwhile ignoring all of the attention I was getting. Being nearly 6 feet tall blending in was always an uphill battle. But as I glanced over at the beautiful boy to my right, I knew that today it would be impossible.

I jumped a bit as he suddenly began speaking, in hushed tone his lips way to close to my ear.

"Calm down. You look like a cornered animal flinching and all."

I simply nodded in response. I was in one of those very rare moments in my life where I was speechless.

My breathe hitched at the sudden sensation of a hand embracing my own. I looked down and saw Jakes hand clasping mine firmly. My heart felt like it was going to jump right out of my chest. Instinctively I began trying to pull away but my efforts were thwarted when Jake laced his fingers between my own as he shot a beaming brilliant smile my way while his eyes said "don't even think about it".

So I kept my head down as we made our way through the crowded halls. I wasn't sure how far we had walked until we came to a sudden halt.I glanced up slowly, we were at the entrance to my first period class.Jake was standing there his grip on my hand loosening slightly as he still smiled brilliantly at me.

"I better get going, but I'll see you after this period. Wait for me okay? " He said in a sickeningly sweet voice. I nodded trying not to look at him directly for the fear that I might be blinded my his shine.

My heart skipped a beat once again. It was so brief and casual but it nearly knocked me off my feet as he left a quick and gentle peck on my cheek before heading off in the direction of his own class.

 "Sophie, are you going to come into class or just watch from the doorway?" My very blonde and very preppy teacher sneered.

I sighed deeply as I watched my "boyfriend" disappear around a corner.

This was going to be a long day.

I stared at my feet as I shuffled into the classroom filled with preps. I had failed chemistry the first...and second time so most of them were a year or two younger, yet just as viscous as the senior preps.

They snickered and whispered as I made my way to my seat.

"I must be imagining things, there is no way Jake Farmer is dating her, right?" One of the preppy underlings sneered.

"Pity-dating maybe? But even that's going a little far."

My face felt hot as they continued to talk about me literally behind my back and around me.

After the snooty teacher gave us our assignments I pulled out my mp3 player and put on my headphones. I had heard enough and I just wanted to pretend this wasn't happening.I clicked the top of my mechanical pencil releasing led, then pushed it back in. Then repeated as a soft and sincere melody filled my ears...

I ran my hands across the fabric od my brown cotton dress.  I felt the loose curls in my up-do  bounce at the back of my head as I was now nearly jogging down the prestene and perfect halls of the castle.

Still I heard the sound of footsteps continue to grow closer..

I was nearly sprinting now. The sound of my own boots and his echoed loudly, I felt relief as I turned the corner nearly at the dark corridor that I knew I could disappear in.

Just as I was turning the corner my newly acquired sense of relief was snatched away as I felt a strong hand grip my own bringing my body to a sudden halt.

I stood there for a moment as I tried to catch my breathe an come up with an escape plan.

"Sophia." A low voice called out from behind me.