Unfazed, Tanner makes a right turn, hugging the buildings near him as we charge towards more fights. He waves his right arm, leading us into an apartment building on the corner so we can rest. We rush into the coverage of the lobby gratefully. My mental zaps threaten my self-control as Tanner speaks.

"Okay, fellow snipers," Tanner exhales. He digs in his pocket for a moment before bringing out a knot of cords. He takes a moment to untangle two wires, handing Stephen and I each our own. My fingers tremble slightly as I straighten out the wire. I can't help but think this is either the best or worst choice I've made in my life. The rebels seems more genuine, and their reason to fight is justified. As much as I hate to admit it, the rebel lady is right. I shouldn't be protecting the country that ruined my family.

As we put on our communication devices, Tanner speedily explains how they work. "These cords will connect your with Delphin, the woman you just met. Let her know what you're doing every time you use one of these."

Tanner open up a velcro compartment on his vest to reveal a row of spherical mini bombs. "Just turn the crank and toss them. They'll blow up when they hit something solid."

Stephen and I nod, sliding our wires down the backs of our vests and clipping the tiny solar packs to our shirts. The vest adds an extra few pounds of weight, making our dangerous runs through Grand Rapids more difficult than ever.

"The vests," Tanner continues, reading my mind, "will protect you from bullets aimed at your center. Keep them buckled all the way up. Also good to know: we have about 70 other snipers positioned around the city. Be smart about your shooting because you've got the advantage."

The boy hands us each another cartridge of bullets before sending me up the elevator to the roof. I give Stephen a long, tight hug and Tanner a firm goodbye before they're hustled out the door towards the adjacent side of the city.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Tanner asks a final time.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I reply, Tanner nodding in agreement. In his mind, I gave the right answer, even if I don't believe it myself.

Stephen nods as well, "Stay safe, 400."

I cover up my doubts, pointing my eyebrow as a taunt to Stephen. I half-smile back. "You, too, 399."

As I take the elevator to the roof, everything begins to feel surreal: the Train, the Project, the guns, the rebels, the bombs. How is this all happening? How is none of this a dream? And more importantly: what about Stephen? Why didn't I kiss him goodbye? What if I never see him again, never feels his warm skin against mine ever again? The elevator pulls to a rugged stop, and the doors zip open. I snap out of my trance and enter the war.

Bullets and yells beat into my ears as soon as the doors open. Startled, I jog to the farthest portion of the roof as Tanner instructed me to do. I quickly peer over the edge, the war zone only 10 stories below. Bullets echo across other rooftops, bringing the fight to the air as well. I gulp, hoping no one will be able to spot me.

I pull out the kickstand on the gun, positioning the barrel on the fighters below. Already, the swarms of Screeners have punched holes into the ring of citizens. I focus my vision through the circular scope and search for a blue-tinted target.

Panicky, my heart picks up speed as I search for an easy target. The human barrier is going to fall apart if I don't do something. My fingers twitch with every shot around me, and my breathing turns to pants as the holes in the line of citizens grows wider.

You're such an idiot, I urge myself shakily, Hurry up and shoot something. Do you really want these people to die for no reason?

I train my scope on a group of Screeners huddled behind a vehicle's open doors. The doors act like shields for the stationary Screeners while their partners run into direct fire. The bullets ricochet off their chest protectors, hardly leaving a scratch.

Without thinking, I wrap my finger around the trigger and fire. A sharp tremor rocks through my body, almost painfully, as a burst of sound explodes into my eardrums. Bleeding through his boot, the Screeners behind the vehicle door crumples to the ground, inaudibly screaming and clutching himself. Am I evil for hurting him? Or a hero for saving the lives he'd surely take? It's like I'm playing a game, not inflicting real, intentional pain.

Slightly terrified of myself, I move onto a new Screener, my temples electrifying periodically with dull volts.

BOOM... BOOM... zap. BOOM.

Three groups of huddling Screeners are distracted by three bloody-footed soldiers, one in each of their groups. I don't think too long about how much pain they're in because of me. At least I didn't kill them.

BOOM... BOOM... zap. BOOM.

A black tire on each of the three vehicles begins to leak. The Screener vehicles will be rendered useless. My temples continue to zap.

BOOM... zap. BOOM.. BOOM... zap. BOOM.

The gun between my sweaty hands does all of the work for me. I easily take down three more Screeners before the tremor from my fourth bullet loosens my earpiece--

Earpiece.

I quickly wedge the earpiece back into its place. Ducking out of view, I yell over the explosions, "Call Delphin!"

A smooth voice replies, "Miss Renner, you are connected to Delphin's communications."

"Send out a message to all rebels," I scream. "Tell them not to kill anyone! Tell them to aim for arms or legs, or for unprotected targets and vehicle tires! Don't aim for anything armored!"

The line on the other end silences for a moment. I exhale, adjusting my vest and sitting up against the wall. If the Screeners figure out our tactic, we're finished.

A sudden group of bombs are set off in sync, and my surprised screams is drowned out completely. I clamor to my knees and look down from my rooftop position.

Six vehicles behind the front line of Screeners are gone, replaced by black columns of smoke. They visibly halt the pursuing wave of red artillery.

A millisecond of silence shakes the Earth before citizens and snipers continue their fire. Bullets enter easy targets and bombs explode unprotected vehicles. Joining in, I pivot my gun towards a new target.

BOOM... zap. BOOM... zap. BOOM BOOM BOOM... zap. BOOM BOOM BOOM.

A flash of blackness falls from my gun, clattering silently to the ground. I click my trigger, no bullets leaving the barrel. I click it a few more times. Nothing happens.

"Great," I hiss inaudibly, grabbing a new cartridge from my pocket. I cluelessly search for a place to reload the gun as I attempt to shove the cartridge through dense metal. Feeling stupid, I look across the horizon, pulling my fingers through my hair.

I blink a few times, and my instincts tell me I'm missing something. Though I don't notice it at first, the issue flashes in my mind. Where are all the battle sounds? All I can hear is my own breathing.

I rise from my squatting position and look over the ledge. Everyone and everything still, except for the enemy vehicles that form a tight ring around the city. The border citizens warily point their weapons at the vehicles, confused.

"What the--"

A hundred engines roar at once, charging for their only target: the city. As if on cue, my temples electrify so powerfully I'm knocked away from my gun.

-- -- -- -- --
*sings* boom, zap. the sound of my heart. the beat goes on and on and on and on and. boom, zap. you make me feel good. c'mon to me, c'mon to me now.

hahaha... yeah, i'm not funny. Charlie xcx would be proud.

and anyone else imagine tanner in this update as thomas brodie-sangster (aka newt from the maze runner?)

... he'll be entering the plot again, don't you worry.

Question: Pick a phrase: more fights, more personal, or more Screeners.

Follow-up Question: Rate the Enhancement trailer on a scale of 1-10.

next chapter awaits-->