Chapter 19

(2 Months Later)

Gosh I can't believe I'm already back.

I take a few steps off of the dock and stare into the busy, but quiet streets of London. People were welcoming and people were crying as another ship departed.

I take a deep breath and stare at the public once more. The town welcomed me back in a sharp breeze as the public rustled around me trying to get other places.

Maybe I should walk around some more before I have to go back.

So I did just that. It seems boring, but I need to calm my nerves before I give the news.

(2 Hours Later)

"Hello?"

No response.

"Phillip? John?"

Oh great, they aren't even here—

"YOURE BACK!"

In about a second I was greeted by my son who almost toppled me over with a hug. He stepped back, a bit hyper, with a wide smile on his face.

(Phillip is a smart kid; he excelled in a good amount of classes and is overall a hard worker if he likes the job enough. Although he's smart, sometimes it's best to not know everything.)

In the middle of my thinking, I get bombarded with questions of my trip.

"How's Aunt Elizabeth and Aunt Margarita? How's Phillip? How's Angelica? How's Uncle Alex? How's grandma and grandpa? Was it fun to see them again? Did you bring anything back? What did you do for 7 months?"

Why is he so inquisitive? It's admiring, but kind of annoying when you can't get a word in 😅.

"They are all doing well, Phillip. And you know you can call them Aunt Eliza and Peggy right?"

"Oh I know, but I just like to call them by their full names."

"Ah okay then. But to answer the rest of your questions: it was extremely fun hanging out with my them and I did indeed bring something back with me."

He looked at my hands to see if I had anything in them, then when he didn't see anything he stared at my suitcases, anticipating that I open it.

"Phillip, you're not gonna find it in a suitcase or something."

"Then where would it be? It has to be some type of thing that could be held in hand—"

He ponders at me in doubt until I place a hand over my stomach.

"DID YOU BRING BACK A SIBLING?!"

I nod and laugh at his amazement as he gives me another hug, but this one was less tight/suffocating and more gentler than before.

"Does father know yet?"

I look at his office coldly as a slight shiver went down my spine. He wasn't in there, but the thought of him made the mood change a bit.

"No. Not yet."

As Phillip kept asking me more questions, I couldn't shake the feeling of what might happen if I told him.

Will he be excited? Happy? Calm? Angry? Frustrated? Out of control?

I have no clue what to think, except to be careful when he comes home.

"Mother? Mother? MOM!"

He grabbed my attention again when he shouted. When I turned my head back to face him, his expression changed immensely. I don't know if he was trying to hide it, but he seemed scared and distraught.  Did he know?

Wait—

Is he crying?!

I peer into his eyes and there were tears forming. He's smiling however to hide something. The truth? Something else?

But if he did know, how? Whenever John and I would get into fights or arguments or...other things, it would be late in the night almost to 2 in the morning. We both knew not to do it front of Phillip; that was one of the few things we agreed on. We never spoke about it, we just knew not too.

It was our predicament, not his.

"Phillip why are you crying?"

He hesitates answering then replies with "I'm just so excited to be an older sibling. 13 years as the only child is kind of lonely, mom." As he says that, he gives me another hug, trying to mask his emotion. I feel like he's lying, but I don't know for sure.

Do I ask him about it or leave it be? He's only 13, I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him.

I cup my hands on his face, while wiping the now few tears that are slowly falling down his face, with my thumb. I don't think I've ever seen him this troubled before.

"Phillip...do you know about—"

The front door suddenly swings open.

"Angelica dear! I see you've made it back!"

Phillip and I both tense up by the sound of his voice. Quickly I calm my nerves, so I could calm his. He knows, definitely.

"Aren't you going to reply?" This time his voice was a bit more louder and strained.

I stand up straighter and place a hand on Phillip and a hand on stomach. Making a silent promise to protect both although I'm terrified as well.

"Hello, John."