The Shadow

That morning, Albus and Lucas got their detention notes. "8 P.M.," Albus  whispered. So instead of having their free time before they went to bed, they went up to Lewis's office at 7:45 P.M. "Good, you're here, Potter," Lewis said. "You guys will be serving detention with Professor Longbottom today." she said. They walked down to the assigned greenhouse and knocked. 

"Ah, come in, come in," Neville said. "Today you're going to be tending to Mandrakes  tonight, for the second years, get to your stations." So Albus and Render got to their station. "So, Potter, should we—?" His sentence was cut short by the thudding of Albus's feet as he walked across the Greenhouse. "Take this," Albus said. Render took the coppery yellow, while Albus took the water-blue. Albus nudged Render and took one of the plants towards him, he took a watering can and watered the soil. The plant gave a wail neither one of them could hear, but Albus's gaze traveled elsewhere as he saw a bit of charcoal-black fur, then a niffler. His gaze followed it until, THUD! It fell on the side of the table nearest to Lucas. A bunch of dust went up into the air. Albus carried on watering the plants, with his mind on that niffler, it lunged for something shiny, unless...

That's when he saw it, a shadow sneaking along the walls, doing a non-verbal anti-eavesdropping spell and then plucking the shiny thing off. The shadow scampered away, but unfortunately, Albus saw, nobody caught sight of it. Detention ended, and when Albus and Lucas were out of earshot of Render and Colton, Albus tells Lucas what happened quietly. "Lucas, a shadow, he was taking that shiny thing!" Albus whispered. "I— Albus, honestly, there was nothing, you must have been imagining things." Lucas whispered back.