The Friendly Face

It was lunch. Albus was sitting with Julian, and Scorpius was on the deserted side of the Slytherin table, looking very lonely. 

That's what he gets, Albus thought bitterly. 

"He's getting up," Julian whispered to Albus. "And coming over here."

Indeed he was. A day had passed since the big fight that Albus and Scorpius had. Albus watched as Scorpius took hesitant steps towards the place where Albus and Julian were sitting. He slowly lowered himself onto the bench. 

"Hey, mate," Julian said.

"Hello, Julian," Scorpius replied. Then he looked at Albus and said uncertainly, "Hi, Albus."

"Hi," Albus said shortly. "Are you here to make another dig at Hagrid?"

"No," Scorpius said. "I... I came to apologize. I'd—."

"About time," Albus snarled. "What's got into you?"

"It was a story my father told me," Scorpius admitted. "About a hippogriff called Buckbeak attacking him. He also told me Hagrid has a bunch of other crazy creatures."

"Just don't do it again," Albus told him. "Then I'll forgive you. We're studying with Rose and Lara in the library today. Are you in?"

Scorpius smiled slightly, relieved. "Yes. I'm in. I'll also apologize and explain how that marred my view of Hagrid. My father also said he's a savage."

"Good," Albus said. "Do you want to join us?" 

"Al," another voice came along with a chorus of booing.

"Hey, Rosie," Albus said. "Scorpius wanted to apologize for what he said about Hagrid."

Rose's eyes darkened. "Really? Then bring it on."

"Yeah. I'm really sorry for what I said about your friend," Scorpius told her earnestly. "I just... heard some stories about him from my father that made me... misjudge... or dislike him. It's going to take me time to warm up to him... but I'm sorry."

The darkness subsided from Rose's eyes, and they were almost... soft. "It's fine," she replied neutrally. "Are we still studying, Al?"

"Yeah, we are," Albus said. "Scorpius, you joining?"

"No... I'm going back to Slytherin Common room," Scorpius said.

"For the record, you're already better than your father in my book," Rose said. "As far as I know, Lara is fine with you. I'm neutral. Just don't beat me in class and we're going to be fine."

Scorpius looked stunned. "Did she just... tease me?" He asked no one in particular, dumbfounded.

"That's the most civil you're getting with her, unless you become friends," Albus told him. "You better learn not to be stunned."

"Anyway, I didn't get around to asking, since, you know..." Albus said.

"It was fine, really," Scorpius said. "My father had to go to a job application every other day. He retired from Borgin and Burke's the summer before this year. I think he might finally get a job as stocker in the Apothecary by the end of next summer! Demetrius came over with his... siblings."

After a minute of silence, he continued.

"My aunt... she..." he trailed off. "Yeh. My cousins are starting in our fourth year. Other than that, nothing much. My mother spent lots of time talking with my aunt."

"It's time for Transfiguration," the sixth year boy prefect said. 

"Ugh," Albus groaned. "The one class I beat Scorpius at has been since November has been cancelled due to lack of sufficient sunlight. And now there's one of the core classes or Magical Theory in the place of it."

Albus' lack of enthusiasm was well-deserved. They were practicing Switching Spells, which seemed to be the most complex spell they were learning thus far. Albus still had made nearly no progress, while Scorpius had been able to write all about Switching Spells.