Reconciliation

Albus and Julian were at lunch. They'd just came back from Charms with the Gryffindors, where Malfoy had once again surpassed everyone, earning twenty points for Slytherin for a perfect execution of the Levitation Charm.

"Are you going to try out for Quidditch?" Julian asked enthusiastically.

"I'm thinking," Albus replied. "After all, the only subjects that I really have confidence in are Potions and Herbology. I want some distraction. Then that would mean I have to play against James. I'm not ready for that."

"You're ready for Herbology, though, right?" Julian teased.

Everyone knew that Albus was the best at Herbology in Slytherin, and the only person to beat Malfoy in any class. The streak of Malfoy getting points and points for Slytherin seemed to be upsetting for lots of his Housemates. 

"Come on, James!" A voice hissed bossily.

Albus turned around to see his cousin Rose, gently shoving James toward Albus. This version of his brother was truly alien to Albus. All the times he had seen his brother, he was upbeat, lively, energetic, loud, and the life of the party.

Today, as of now, he was quailing under the dirty stares and venomous glares from the Slytherins around him, carrying himself with the poise of someone itching to stay in the shadows. 

As Rose and James neared Albus, he saw his cousin send a surreptitious glare towards Malfoy. Albus knew why. In all classes bar Herbology, the Malfoy scion surpassed her. Her father's plea to                         beat the boy in every class was majorly in vain, though she was definitely living up to not being to friendly.

"Hi," James said awkwardly, shuffling his feet.

"Hi," Albus said blandly. 

"I'm sorry," James said suddenly, as if some sort of emotion overtook him. "I was really just... well, I was shocked... and kind of... I dunno the word... but it... wasn't positive. I forgave you weeks ago. A week after the Sorting. I just... I just..." he trailed off, as if embarrassed.

"He couldn't pluck up the courage," Rose supplied. 

James gave Rose a minuscule glare, but nevertheless said, "Yeah. I mean... I'm still a Gryffindor..."

"I have no plans of changing houses," Albus said pointedly.

"Exactly," Rose said. "I get it's going to take time. Al, James wanted to do this for a long time."

"It's fine, really," Albus assured his brother. "Just don't do it again."

James smiled. "So... I'm forgiven... but also not really forgiven?"

It came out tentatively, but Albus still cracked a smile. That was the first considered joke he'd gotten so far. 

"Well, Lou wants to tell me about something," James told him. "Catch you later?"

Albus nodded.

James walked off, a small smile detectable on his face.

"Yeah, anyway, about Herbology, I'm totally ready," Albus said once he turned back to Julian. "Oh, and for Potions as well. I'm great at that."

"I'm sure everybody hates the fact that Malfoy's the best at it," Julian said.

"Well, we're going to Charms next," Albus said. "I'm decent at it."