The Friendship Between Opposites

Albus had seen Scorpius Malfoy heading in the opposite direction from the Slytherin Common room. He didn't blame him. After classes were over or at any breaks, the students would take to saying mean things about him, an example being that he was an arrogant know-it-all. 

Albus knew he was popular with the Slytherins, though he hated that he was. His Housemates saw him as a redemption chip. The card to play when there were no good options left. Albus, despite his popularity, didn't stand for bullying. He hoped his high status would help Scorpius Malfoy's situation. 

Albus saw him disappear behind a door. The door was heavy, made with dark wood, closing surprisingly silently. Albus opened the door just a few seconds after it closed, mentally slapping himself for being so dumb. 

"Demetrius," Scorpius Malfoy said, clearly annoyed. 

Then he seemed to realize it wasn't his cousin. When he saw Albus, his expression turned venomous and guarded. Albus saw that he was sitting at a table, parchment in front of him, poring over a History of Magic textbook.

"Potter," Scorpius Malfoy acknowledged, his voice cold and hard. 

"Scorpius," Albus greeted. "About the train... I wasn't lying. While I wouldn't say I wanted to be friends then, I did sympathize with you. I know sympathy isn't what you want in an acquaintance or anyone you're civil with, but—."

"I'm looking for acceptance, Potter," Scorpius Malfoy corrected. "Not sympathy. So you can leave."

"Scorpius, I don't judge people by their predecessors," Albus said. "I hate it when people expect me to be exactly like my dad, just because I'm his son. I'm not."

"Don't pretend," Scorpius Malfoy snarled. "I know you think I'm like the rest of them. My father. My grandfather before him. My great-grandfather before him. Prowling around in Knockturn Alley looking to trade for some Dark artifact."

"I don't make assumptions," Albus countered. "But... doesn't your dad work at Borgin and Burke's?" 

"That was straight off the war," Scorpius Malfoy corrected. "After his six-month incarceration. No other job would accept him. Not even a janitor."

"Going off of that... he wasn't in Azkaban, was he?" Albus remarked.

"They debated on putting him in Azkaban," Scorpius Malfoy corrected. "But other than that, you make a good point."

"Julian is fine with you," Albus told him. "Rose will come around as well. Just try to make friends." Lara hadn't seemed opposed to being his friend at all.

"Except everyone sees you as Albus Potter," Scorpius Malfoy said. "And everybody sees me as Scorpius Malfoy, not Scorpius Malfoy."

"They're going to see past that," Albus said. "Just like Julian did for me. He doesn't see me as Albus Potter, he sees me as Albus Potter." 

"I'll try to get my nose out of books. That's all I'm promising," Scorpius Malfoy said firmly. 

"That's a start," Albus said. "Now, do you like quidditch?"

"Yes," Scorpius Malfoy said. "I want to play for the friendly team, but..." he trailed off.

"What's your favorite team?" Albus inquired.

"Kenmare Kestrels," his new companion... acquaintance... whatever answered.

"Mine are the Falmouth Falcons," Albus said. 

Albus and Scorpius Malfoy launched into an intense and very opinionated conversation about quidditch. The next World Cup was next summer, set to be Finland versus Somalia. Albus' best was on Finland, whereas Scorpius' was on Somalia. 

"I'm going back to Common room. Want to come?" Albus asked. 

"No," Scorpius said. "I'll come straight up to dinner."

Albus nodded, exited the room.