Letter #1 - "Why Did it Have to End?"

I sat down for dinner with my beautiful family, and we talked about how our days at school and work went today. My husband, Michael, talked about how his boss gave him a raise for all of his hard work; my son, Ryan, talked about how his project won in the science fair and how he was going to a regional science fair competition; and my daughter, Camila, explained how she got a lead role in her school musical. Our family always tried to be the best we can be, and it worked pretty well for us. I was working as a graphic designer, which consisted of designing t-shirts for various companies. Michael was a nurse in our local hospital, which happened to be one of the best in the country. Our kids both achieved high honor roll. Ryan was working to persue his dream of being a scientist, while Camila wanted to be an actress and singer. We were a happy little family.

        As we chatted about our days, I twirled my spaghetti with my fork and took a bite. I was pleased with how good it tasted. Usually Michael would cook, but today I wanted to give it a shot. It was my way of telling him how proud I was of him for getting a raise at work. Michael and I also had a secret plan to surprise the kids for their acheivements by taking them to Florida next month for their Christmas vacation. They didn't know it yet, but we were going to tell them as soon as they got out of school next Friday.

        We decided on going to Florida when my mother and father said they wanted to see us again. It had been three years since I have actually been back in my home state, so I wanted to return for Christmas. My brother and sister also wanted to see me when I came down to visit. They were all grown up now, so I'd have to make time to see them.

        I really missed Florida, but I had to move because Michael's job was in Massachusetts. Its not like I was against moving away, because he was offered the best job that he could possibly get, but I just missed my home state. When Michael had brought up the idea of going there for Christmas break, I was over-joyed. He knew how long I've been wanting to visit my family and old friends. In a way, this was my reward as much as it was the kids's.

        My train of thought was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. Everyone's head popped up when they heard the knock, since it was odd to be getting company this late. Before anyone could say anything, I stood up and went to go see who it was. When I got to the door to open it, I didn't see anyone there. At first I thought it was the neighborhood kids pulling a prank on us, until I looked down and saw a package on the door mat. I picked up the package, and in big letters I read my name, 'Lauren'. The package was for me. I shut the door and returned to the dining room, where everyone continued to eat.

        "Who was it, honey?" Michael asked me.

        "I don't know, but they left a package for me. I'll be right back, I want to see what it is." I replied.

        He just nodded and accepted my wish to open it in private. I walked into Michael and I's bedroom and sat on our bed. The package was tightly wrapped and bundled with care, so I assumed that this was an important package. It took we a while to finally get it open, but when I finally did, a bunch of letters spilled out all over my bedroom floor. There were tons of them, maybe about fifty or more. I couldn't think of anyone right off the bat who would send me this many letters, and it left me baffled. So I picked up one of the letters, and read the name of the sender. I read, 'Karla Camila Cabello'.

        Camila. My ex-friend, ex-best friend, ex-sister, ex-bandmate, and my first love. She was the most important person to me at some point in my life, and I have never truly forgotten about her. Camila had left a permanent mark on my heart that couldn't possibly be removed. The only reason that I hadn't tried to get in contact with her, was because I thought she lost interest in me. Now that I see these fifty or more letters before me, I realize that I was wrong.

        I wanted to read these letters in order, so I gathered them all in a bunch and put them on my bed. It took me at least ten minutes to finally get them in the correct order. I couldn't help myself, as I picked up the first letter and opened it up. This first one wasn't too long, so hopefully I'd have the time to read it before Michael or the kids came and wondered what I was up to. I never told them about Camila or my past as a girl group member, because it was something that I'd rather forget than remember. The group's break-up was something way too terrible to want to think about. If I remembered every detail of what happened, I'd probably break down in tears. Then my family would ask me what was wrong, and I'd have to make up some lame excuse.

        I placed the rest of Camila's letters in my bureau drawer, and laid down on my bed and began to read: 

Dear Lauren,

        Why did it have to end? I miss you, Normani, Dinah, and Ally. We were the five amigas, and I remember the time when loosing you all was an idea that was too far-fetched. Back then, I never would have thought that I would lose you, Lauren. You were, and still are, very special to me and I wish I could see you again. I'm not sure if you feel the same way, but I'd love to see you sometime. I still live in Miami, right across town from you, in case you wanted to meet up and chat over some frozen yogurt or something. I would love that, wouldn't you?

        "Yes, I would love that, Camila. I miss you," I said to myself. I stopped reading to check the date on the letter. 'November 12th, 2025', three years ago. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, but I continued to read the letter anyways.

        Anyways, how have you been, Lauren? I've been fine. Sofia and my family are doing great, but they think I'm depressed. That can't be the case, can it? They say that severe depression is possible when you suffer a loss. I guess I can see what they all mean. I did suffer a loss. You. After the break-up, it was my fear that we'd lose interest in each other and drift apart. Now that I come to think about it, my worst fear has been realized. 

        I should stop being so sad! Maybe I should talk about the wonderful things that have happened to me recently! Umm... let me think. Uhh... A job! I have a new job! I now work as secretary at our local hospital! Isn't that cool?! You might see me if you ever have to go to the emergency room! Just don't try to go there, I mean. Don't purposely get hurt just so you can see me. I'd rather just go out to get fro-yo. 

        This made me giggle. Despite Camila's possible depression, she still had that sense of humor that really got me going. I continued to read.

        What have you been up to lately? Did you get a new job yet? I hope so! It would suck if you haven't. You can't live off of your Fifth Harmony money forever! Well, maybe you can, but I've never been too good at math! Even if you can, life would be boring without a job. It took my a couple of months to realize that. If it weren't for my mom telling me about this job opening, I'd probably still be looking for one.

        Speaking of jobs, Lauren, I need to get ready for mine! Hopefully you'll write to me soon!

                                                                              Lots of love, 

                                                                              Camila

        I was almost in tears from this letter. At least Camila was doing alright. Hopefully she is still okay, despite the fact that this was written three years ago. There was a knock on the bedroom door.

        "Are you alright in there, honey?" Michael asked.

        "Yeah, I'll be right out!" I answered.

        I folded the letter back up and put it back in its envelope, and placed it in my bureau drawer with the others. I'd rather lay here all night and finish every single letter, but my family was waiting on me. After deciding against reading another, I left the bedroom to join my family and finish my dinner.