thirty-four

Roseanne crumpled another ripped page and tossed it on the kitchen table. It rolled and bounced off the many others that had suffered the same fate. The ideas weren't flowing. She was too self-conscious, too worried about what the actress might think. She needed to let her mind go and not overanalyze every stroke of the pencil.

Keys jingled outside in the hall and a second later, the front door opened. "Hi, honey, I'm home!" Lisa called.

"In the kitchen."

Lisa appeared carrying a series of shopping bags. She glanced briefly at the mess of paper balls on the table before smiling brightly in Roseanne's direction. "I just blew the $300 I made doing that short film, but it was so worth it. I got the hottest pair of jeans ever."

Lisa dug into one of the bags and withdrew a pair of jeans that looked very much like every other pair of jeans Roseanne had ever seen. "Um, hot," Roseanne said, because there was no use in saying anything other than that.

"I also got..." Lisa reached into a different bag and withdrew a pink and black striped scarf. "...this. For you. Aaaaand socks to match!"

"Aw, shucks." Roseanne held up her gifts and shook her head. "Wasn't Christmas like a month ago?"

Lisa shrugged. "Yeah, but we were both broke. Now we're rich. Well, you're rich."

Roseanne hesitated. "I'm not depositing that check from Jennie Kim until I know I can actually come up with something." She motioned to the piles of paper. "As you can see, it's not going well."

Lisa sat down and kicked her shoes into the living room. One hit the back of the couch, and the other missed their lamp by an inch. "Okay. I've got something that might help you with that."

Roseanne slouched down in the chair and stared curiously at her best friend. She crossed her arms. "What could that possibly be?"

Lisa reached into another bag and withdrew an item from its depths. "I actually bought it for me, but I can see that you're in a crisis. So here." She handed a box to Roseanne.

Roseanne took it and sighed. "A vibrator? How is this going to help me? You want me to paint a giant vibrator on the wall of Jennie Kim's penthouse?"

Lisa grinned. "Hey, she might be into that. And besides, it's not just any vibrator. It's the Rabbit. See? They angled the bunny part for better contact. And it vibrates. Just don't get too addicted. You saw what happened to Charlotte in season one of Sex & the City. There's really such a thing as too much mast—"

"Okay," Roseanne said, interrupting. She slid the box across the table. "It's all yours. Really. I'm good."

"Whatever. Be a prude." Lisa took the box and threw it back into the bag. "Call Jaehyun at least. Go out. Make out. Do something."

Roseanne shrugged and offered a tentative smile. "He did look kind of cute with his new hair cut."

"There you go! Excellent. Glad that's settled." She stood up, grabbing bags as she went. "I gotta get ready for work. We hired this new guy. His name is Jin. I get to train him tonight." She looked pensively into the living room. "I can't decide if I'm attracted to him or if I find him repulsive. Such a fine line." She shrugged, and headed to her room.

Roseanne grabbed her sketchpad. The blank page mocked her. She bit her lip thoughtfully and grabbed her cell. She'd taken to text messaging Jane these days because she found it was the best way to get a speedy answer. It was almost as good as a phone conversation, but not as intrusive.

She found Jane's name in her list of contacts and typed:

If u had 2 paint a mural on a famous person's wall, what would u paint?