thirty-six

Jisoo and Kai dug into their breakfast with abandon, and Jennie wondered when it was that they'd last eaten. She watched them now, sitting in her kitchen, shoveling mouthfuls of eggs and bacon into their mouths as though they'd been wandering through the desert and at last found an oasis.

"God, this is so good," Kai said, between bites. "What did you put in this?"

"Eggs," Jennie said flatly. She watched them for a moment longer. "I'm sorry, did you guys spend the past week in the jungle?"

Jisoo swallowed half the glass of orange juice before replying. "We, uh, had a long night."

"We were talking," Kai said.

"Talking," Jisoo echoed quickly.

"Right." Jennie could all but see the quotation marks around the word "talking," but she smiled anyway. She leaned against the counter that separated them.

"So," said Jisoo. "What did you call us over for? Not that we don't appreciate the breakfast, because we do."

Jennie cleared her throat. "I'm planning to tell Roseanne the truth. Today." They stopped eating abruptly.

Kai frowned. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

He put down his fork and looked at her, his blue eyes shining with something like concern. "Because what's stopping her from releasing all those emails to the press?"

Jennie almost sighed. "She wouldn't do that."

"You can't know that."

"I do and she wouldn't." Jennie insisted because she was certain it was true. Roseanne would never stoop that low.

"Maybe you should have her sign a non-disclosure agreement before telling her." This from Jisoo.

Jennie hadn't expected this. The months of teasing had only prepared her for more teasing. "Are you guys kidding me?"

"You made me sign one," Jisoo pointed out.

Jennie did sigh then. She grew serious. "Look, I'm telling her. Today. For better or worse I want all of this lying to end. And I need you guys to be onboard with this."

They exchanged concerned glances but finally nodded. "How do you plan to tell her?" Kai picked up his fork again and Jennie relaxed.

"Well," Jennie began, "I have no idea. That's why you guys are here. I figured you could help me rehearse."

"Rehearse," Jisoo repeated, looking doubtful. "Shouldn't it be a little more natural? Shouldn't it come from the heart?"

"Yes, if I want to fall completely apart in front of her."

"Okay," Kai said, "How about ... you kiss her. She'll be so startled that when you go, 'and by the way I'm really Jane' she'll be too distracted to notice."

Jennie resisted the urge to slap him over the head. "Why don't I just flash her as I tell her?"

"That might work too."

Jennie turned to Jisoo. "Any ideas?"

"You could just email her."

Jennie had considered that. "But then I run the risk of her not believing me."

Kai chuckled. "You could attach a picture of yourself holding up a sign that says, 'no really it's true.'"

Jennie grabbed his plate and pulled it away from him, out of reach.