eight

Jennie sighed without looking up from the book she was reading. "You're in my sun."

"Is that any way to greet your best friend? It's been at least two hours since our last conversation. Haven't you missed me?"

"I'm not even going to ask how you got into my house."

"Jisoo dropped me off. She's got keys." Kai pulled the nearest lounge chair closer and sat down. He looked around the pool area for a minute before continuing. "I tried the doorbell but I guess you didn't hear it."

"I heard it," Jennie said pointedly.

"So you were just ignoring me? I thought maybe you'd fallen and couldn't get up. I came to rescue you from certain death."

"Or maybe I was out?"

Kai let out a long laugh. "Right."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that I was with Jisoo. Considering the fact that we make up your entire social circle, odds are that you'd be home." He nodded at the book. "Reading."

"I resent that."

"Because it's true..."

"It is not. There are a million places I could be at the moment, and a hundred people I could be with."

"And yet, you're with your book."

"It's a good book."

"Which brings me back to my original point."

"Which is?"

"That if you're not with Jisoo or myself, you're usually alone."

Jennie sighed. What was the point of arguing when she knew he was right? "Speaking of being alone, could I get back to that?"

"Well, fine ... next time you don't answer your door I'll just let you lie there, all naked--"

"Naked?"

"I figured you'd be naked."

Jennie shook her head and put a bookmark in her book. "Does your girlfriend know you're picturing me naked?"

"First, she's not my girlfriend. And second, I didn't say I was picturing you naked, only that you were naked."

Jennie arched an eyebrow.

"Okay, I pictured you naked, but in my defense I picture you naked a lot less frequently now than I did when we first met. Besides, that bikini you're wearing right now doesn't leave much to the imagination anyway, so--"

"Okay, just stop talking. What did you come here for that was so important you had break in?"

"How can I stop talking if you ask me a question? Do you want me to answer it by batting my eyelashes in Morse code?"

"Remind me again why we're friends?"

"Is that what we are?" He smiled, but then turned serious. "The truth is, I need to talk to you about something important ... and you have to promise not to fly off the handle. You're not PMSing by any chance, are you?"

"If I were, you'd probably be dead right now."

"Excellent." Kai scratched the back of his head nervously. "How much do you trust Jisoo?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"I just mean," Kai said slowly, "do you consider her a friend? You know, the kind of friend you might, I don't know, confide in?"