“It’s time for you to leave, Simon,” Miss Canda stated, gently pushing him further into the hallway. “It was nice to see you.”

“Bye, Simon,” I murmured miserably, turning to follow the teacher into the room. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder and I was slowly turned around.

“You’ll survive, don’t worry so much,” he reassured me softly, pushing his hair out of his face. “Want me to come and get you afterwards?”

“I don’t know how long this will take,” I shrugged. “I wouldn’t want you to wait too long for me.”

“It’s no big deal,” he argued, smiling slightly. “How about this: you sit through your detention and when it’s done, you come by my room and we’ll hang out till curfew sets in.”

“Deal,” I agreed, smiling genuinely. “At least I’ll have something to look forward to.”

Simon turned away from me then, and walked down the hallway and raised his hand in a final goodbye before turning around the corner. The glow around him was still a sulking kind of grey and his shoulders were slightly slumped. I wished I didn’t have detention, so I’d have time to cheer him up; I couldn’t stand it when he was sad.

 ***

I had only been sitting at the back of the classroom for half an hour when someone knocked on the door. Miss Canda looked up in surprise and got up to see who it was. The students all shot looks at the door too, whispering among each other as soon as Miss Canda wasn't paying full attention anymore. Most kids in here looked like typical tough guys or slutty girls: leather jackets, miniskirts, heavy black boots, huge hoop earrings – it was all there, like the perfect cliché.

“Yes?” Miss Canda inquired when she opened the door. “Oh, Eric, what are you doing here?”

All heads snapped up now, staring at the gorgeous guy that was leaning against the doorframe, an arrogant smile on his face. He was wearing black jeans, a red tee and an expensive looking black tuxedo jacket. He looked like he’d just stepped off a runway – stunning, that is. I noticed even Miss Canda didn’t call him Eros: strange.

“I have a message from the principal, Miss,” Eros explained, looking past the teacher and straight at me. “Demona Hollow – that exquisite girl at the back of the room – needs to help him with her administration files.”

I felt my cheeks heat, especially when all heads turned in my direction.

“What’s so special about her?” Asked a slutty girl wearing a practically non-existent top on top of pink shorts. “She's a freak.”

“Maybe he likes her,” another girl whispered, “although I don’t see why.”

“I’m thinking of asking Eric out sometime soon,” a tiny little fairy with a green glow said. “I heard he’s dated fairies before…”

“Yeah, but he dated witches and weres too. But never another vamp, since there are no vamp girls. Maybe that’s why he likes the freak.”

“Did you know she is friends with the fairy guy?”

“Figures – they are both weird.”

“True that.”

I gritted my teeth and ignored the obnoxious whispers and glares. Eros was still looking at me, his smile slightly amused and his dark eyes twinkling. He winked when he caught me looking and I smiled in spite of everything. He was just so… yummy.

“Well, Demona is in detention right now. Can’t she go and make sure her files in order another time?” Miss Canda asked gently.

“The principal said it had to be now,” Eros contradicted, his eyes smoldering at the teacher.