Chapter 16

Vincent

When I finally came to it, I was all alone. There wasn't a living body to find and all I had was the memory of Athena running from through the window. At this point, I didn't think she was even alive either. I hid in my rumor like a coward and laid in her spot taking in the scent I will never smell again. I think I cried every tear I had in my body as I mourned the death of my pack members. I was no Alpha because I couldn't protect them from the unknown. My phone began ringing as a large video chat came through and it was Jack. My heart perked up as I answered and I saw him and every one of my brothers who all looked like they hadn't slept in weeks. Jack was talking but I couldn't quite listen until a sound came through. "Jack is Athena there?" I looked at him as he nodded. I didn't have to listen because I need to be where she is. Grabbing my car keys I headed to my truck and began my journey to her. I needed her and I know she needed me if there were no more people. Meaning her family is dead. She is going to need me just as badly. The phone started ringing as I was driving and it was my brother. "Hey, I am on the road heading there. How is Athena?" Jack had sighed which was a good indication. "She's not that good after hearing her family is dead. She's at the club dancing it out." He responded. I should be angered but I was concerned more. "You said all the high ranking survived, why is she alive? I mean I am happy she is but it makes no sense? And who is the new Goddess?" I asked him but I don't think he would even know it's only been a few hours since armageddon. "I don't know man. All I know is that when she got there she was surprised to see me alive because her link with me as her Alpha, had severed. We can ask the other Alpha's when they get here. Just get here as fast as you can before she has a meltdown. She will dance until her feet are bleeding if I didn't stop her but now she has a mate so she doesn't need me anymore."

But even I had felt helpless. My mate is alive but the feeling of not being able to help my pack. My sisters were dead, my Beta, and even the annoying people I missed more than anything. It took me a while to finally get there and most everyone was already there cleaning up dead bodies. I pulled up to her club and it was just her in there. When I got to the front door the music was playing loud and I didn't know what I was walking into. I walked into her dancing on the pole doing all kinds of tricks but she was crying. Glass was smashed everywhere like she went ham on the club. Her eyes snapped to me which were bloodshot. I smiled at her but she sat on the stage looking down playing with her heels. I walked over to her and wrapped her arms around my neck which eventually stood up and just hugged me. She started crying more and there was nothing I could do but console her. "We will get through this together. But I am just happy that I didn't lose you." She perked up a bit before softly kissing my lips. "I need to find their bodies. Jack said they are dead but I need to see it to believe it." Her voice cracked but she was right. She needed to learn to cope and this is the first step. "Get changed and we can go look." She nodded before she found her duffle bag and changed out of her basically no clothes. She has never had to experience death the way I have and knowing it's all she had was the worse part. I was all she had. She finished placing her shoes on before throwing the duffle bag over her shoulder which I took hold of. I entangled my fingers with her to lead her to the truck. Opening her door for her to get in. She told me the way to go and soon we were at the farmhouse.

She had a hesitation towards her but she was brave. The door flew up before I even parked. She ran out towards the house. After I parked I hurried in after her to see she was holding a woman in her arms. She was dead and which I assumed was her mom. Athena looked just like her. Tan skin, black hair, same lips. "I just spoke with her the other day. She told me I needed to be down for my sister Karina's birthday in a few weeks. I was asking her what I should get her and I did. And now she will never get to have it." Her tears were falling on her mom's corpse as she held onto her lifeless body. "Can you check the rest of the place for my Dad and sister? I want to bury them." She asked me but I could never say no. I went upstairs following the smell of copper and found her father right off the bat. Whoever attacked him did a number on him as his throat was ripped out. I knelt down and lowered my head in respect. "I never got to meet you and I know you didn't die not trying. Athena is in good hands, I am going to take care of her even when she is the most stubborn person I ever met." At this moment I would have said a prayer to the moon goddess but I was mad at her. She abandoned us just like she did every time I went to war. But I was left to pick up the pieces once again. My main focus was my mate. I took this time to grab a blanket and cover his body so that she didn't have to see his bad state. But a small whimper came to my attention and caused my wolf to get guarder. I looked around the office to find any trace but the closet was empty. I then looked at the desk and made my way around. When I knelt down there was a little girl covered in blood and sweat shivering. This had to be Athena's little sister. "Plea...se don't hurrrr...ttt meeee." She stuttered out. I softened my face. "Karina, I am Alpha Vincent. I am your sister's mate." She looked me in the eyes like she instantly trusted me. "Where is my sister?" I reached for her hand and helped her out before taking my jacket off and wrapping it around her cold body. I placed my hand on her shoulder and walked with her downstairs. "Athena meet me at the stairs please?" Right before the stairs ended Athena met eyes with her little sister and in a quick motion she had her wrapped in her arms crying together. The happiness she felt in her voice knowing her little sister made it alive. "Vincent, can you find her room and throw tons of clothes in there. I am taking her from here?" I nodded before I proceeded upstairs.