Chapter 21

He took me out to the back patio which looks like he had it redone. Or his mate. I liked it. I found myself leaning on the deck fence of the patio just looking out and he also joined me. Our arms were touching and my heart was longing for them but I knew I had to refuse regardless. "She turns 4 next week." I finally broke the silence. His eyes darted over to me. Before he released a sigh. "She looks like him, but has your beauty." My heart was hurting just hearing him say that. I can't imagine how hard it was to see his mate and brother with their kid. If it was me I'd be in more pain seeing it. "Where's your mate at?" His back was now laying on the fence facing the other direction. "How long were you waiting to ask that?" He now had a smile on his face knowing it was probably torturing me. "Marissa is her name. And you probably won't get to meet her. She left about 6 months ago. She said that she always felt second because I wouldn't mark her. I don't know why but she wasn't you." I looked at him with pain. He wasn't able to move on and it's my fault. It's my fault... "I know you had to do what was best for people. But you are leaving.. I would never have sex with you if that means keeping you here. But you left and you moved on with my brother and had a kid with him. How can you do that?" Now he was angry. "You don't know what to tell you. I can't apologize for moving on because it's better than what you're doing?"

He hit wood to express he didn't like what I had to say so cold. "You had a family with him and what did you even think for a second how I'd feel?" This reminded me of the fight we had before I killed many people. "No, because I killed thousands of people by being intimate with you! I love my daughter and I do not regret her. You are not going to stand here and make me feel guilty because you failed to make your mate happy. I picked her out perfectly for you but you stayed stuck. Do you think if I didn't have this curse that anything would change? No, we'd be here together but you are not worth me killing wolves. Did you even look at the beautiful girl I gave birth to?" We were both exhaling loudly. "Athena, let's get to bed." Jack was at the door reaching his hand to me. I began walking towards it. "We are not done talking Athena, I let you walk away from me before and you won't get out of this." He was right but after the drive, I needed a break. "We will talk tomorrow, I need to check on my daughter." I released from his grip and followed Jack inside. Vincent stayed outside. "We agreed to not tell him. If I didn't go out there then you would have. Maybe we should leave tomorrow because you being with him puts people at risk. I wish it wasn't so hard but we have to protect everyone including the kids." He put an arm around my shoulder and led me upstairs. I started changing into my sleeping clothes when Jack came behind me kissing me on my neck. "Babe I am not in a good mood and just not in the mood," I replied. "I know you aren't, just thought I'd distract you." I let out a sigh before turning to get into bed. "I know I am supposed to do this but I had no fear in talking to him. I had a fear of my heart breaking when I saw him. Jack, he never moved on and this just brought up feelings. I can't keep feeling this way." He got into bed with me and turned my way. "If you know for sure that you don't want to be with him, let's make this official. Marking and everything." I looked at his face and he was serious. Apart of me wanted to say no but it was for the best. I can't have Vincent but I can be with Jack who loves me and treats me so well. Without him, by my side, I wouldn't have made it out the way I did. I would have killed everyone just to be with Vincent. "Can I think about it please?" His lips found mine before he nodded and turned on his back to fall asleep.

Vincent

You know things have been tough since the last time I saw her. But here she was and even though she is happy she doesn't look at it. A curse was set upon her and now we could never really be together. How does one make a good choice without hurting thousands of people? I saw that little girl in her arms and my heart broke but melted at the exact time. I had thought a few times what a little she would look like. She was happy but she was broken at the same time. She tried to give me a mate but unfortunately, it didn't work out. She was high strung and so into the Luna role that it gave me a headache. I just wanted someone who would chill but she just wanted to do duties. Amazing of course. She loved me but I had a hard time loving her the same way. We told each other we would take a break but now that Athena is here it made things so much harder. I wanted her so bad but she is with my brother so it couldn't work. How ironic that my mate is the damn Moon Goddess. I need to find a way out of this before it's too late. Maybe there was still a chance. Or was she so far gone? I returned inside and went back to my room. When Marissa got here she made us move but this room never changed. Athena's clothes were still hanging in the closet. On my way to the room, I couldn't help but hear Jack and Athena. I think she sensed me so she cut the conversation short and the lights shut off. I head to my room and shut the door behind me. "The Moon Goddess has returned?" I looked up to see Marissa standing there with her arms crossed.

I walked to my closet to start changing. "What are you doing here?" I asked her. She leaned against the wall. "I want to meet her. I want to ask why she paired me with the most unavailable guy." I rolled my eyes. She was going to start a fight again. "You don't question her on her choices. You left me so I don't see the problem." I plopped my shirt off and walked towards the bed. "You think I wanted to do that. You're so hung up on your dead ex that you couldn't love me." She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. The mate pulled me towards her. She softly kissed my lips but it just wasn't the same. "The Moon Goddess is my ex. And she isn't dead," I never saw her back away the way she did.