35: Liars Are Loosers

Mulai dari awal

"Now that we are all here, I think it's time we addressed the problems that have seemed to divide this family." Dad began, glancing at me. "As a family, we are supposed to be capable of forgiving each other's mistakes, not letting it drive a wedge between us."

I almost scoffed at his statement. They had let Ruby drive a wedge between us and for the fact that she was still here, that wedge was only going to grow bigger.

"Tiara." Dad glanced at me. "Your mother and I have decided to forgive your mistakes-"

"My mistakes?" I blurted out before I could catch myself. I didn't mean to sound so rude but the entire statement was frustrating. "I'm sorry. What I meant to say was, I wasn't the one who made a mistake. I was wrongly accused by Ruby and my own parents trusted her words blindly, not believing a single word I said." I tried to stay as calm as I could as I spoke. I didn't want to disrespect my parents, I just wanted them to hear me for once.

"I understand that we should have properly investigated the matter before accusing you." Dad said and I pursed my lips to stop myself from giving a snarky comeback.

"Tiara, when Ruby told me about the test kit, I was so angry! I thought I had failed as a mother! I thought I had done a terrible job of raising you! It's not any mother's prayer for their daughter to be pregnant out of wedlock! No mother wants their daughter to be mocked by the society for getting herself knocked up! I know I should have handled the situation better but I let my emotions get the better of me and I hurt you in the process." Mom explained. It had sounded like an apology but I wasn't really sure what it was cause she had yelled halfway through her speech.

"What your mother is trying to say is that we are sorry for not trusting you." Dad added and mom nodded, giving a sigh.

"We could have handled the situation better." Mom said and I nodded in agreement.

"So, you believe me now?" I asked, glancing from my mother to my father, back to my mother.

"We're willing to hear you out." Mom said and I noticed Ruby shift uncomfortably where she was seated across from me. Today was surely going to be her downfall.

"Thank you." I gave my mom a grateful smile and sat upright as I started to speak. "Firstly, I am not pregnant and second, that test kit did not belong to me, it belonged to Ruby and I'm positive about it."

"Tiara-"

"No, mom. The test was Ruby's. She's pregnant and I can prove it. I have proof."

"How?" Ruby spoke up for the first time since we got to the table and I glared at her.

"That's irrelevant, cousin."

"Is it really? Why don't you tell your parents just how you got this proof? Don't you want them to know how low you were willing to stoop to prove yourself right?"

I swallowed hard as I saw the slight smirk on her lips. In that moment, I knew that she knew everything. She had figured everything out.

"Uncle, Aunt." Ruby glanced at my parents. "Tiara and her friends kidnapped me. I didn't want to have to tell you this but it seems I have no other choice. I didn't mean to lie about where I've been for the past two days but I didn't want to put Tiara in more trouble."

"Ruby, what are you saying?" Mom gasped, glancing from me to Ruby.

"In order to prove to you that I'm supposedly pregnant, Tiara had her friends kidnap me right after I felt Derrek's house two days ago. I'd been held against my will and I was forced at gunpoint to take a pregnancy test."

"Wow, Ruby! Where do you come up with these lies?" I gave a laugh, shaking my head. Technically, I didn't have Ruby kidnapped, although, I had knowledge of her kidnapping. Ruby was trying to get herself out of the hot seat by turning the focus to me but I was never going to let her succeed. Two could play this game.