Chapter 1

I slowly advanced into the spacious living room, Paige building a castle with her toys and adorably pouting when they fell over. 

I grinned to myself, my kid was the best which meant it would make it even harder to leave her for eight months. Paige is 3 and was definetly a troublemaker. She had this permanent smile on and was always giggling- which instantly lit up the house. Annabeth and I loved playing with her, and would always be excited to show them to friends. Paige had dirty blonde hair (A/N: Mix of Percy's and Annabeth's hair) that was almost always in pigtails. She had also inherited my jade, green eyes. In all, I loved her to death, I had had a scare when she was born, she nearly died, due her lungs did not work properly but they were fine now. Thankfully, she did not know about our world - I wanted her to grow up like other teenagers, also I couldn't bear to face the fact I she was killed.

"dadda." 

"Hey, baby." I responded, pinching her cheeks,leaving her to play happily as I was walked past her, on my way to the office where I believed my wife would be. As estimated, she was in there working on some designs for a new skyscraper for a client in London. I know, a SKYSCRAPER - she owned the worlds largest architecture company. Olympia Architecture, based in... Olympia, Washington. We lived in on the California - Oregon border, which was  surrounded by coniferous forests and great mountains surrounded us like a stadium, with a sea view of the Pacific. (There was also a pool, in yard - so the house was a win-win for me).

"Hey."  I said, casually walking up to her. I was wearing blue, washed jeans and a pure white sweatshirt.

"Hey yourself." She told me, in a surprisingly good mood, normally she wasn't like this while working... so I knew something had happened. Maybe the profits had come in?, she was pregnant?, maybe she was just excited to be with him? - personally, I decided to go with the last one.

"What's got you so happy?." I asked her, trying not to sound uneasy.

"Nothing, Just happy?, can I not be?." She asked sarcastically. I rolled my eyes playfully

"Of course, you can be happy - In fact, life's better when your happy." I told her 'except from now' I thought. Taking a deep breath, I put on my best smile. Even though that  was not gonna help now - wounded puppy Annabeth was something I could not bear to watch.

"I've got something to tell you." I confessed

"Shoot." She responded, this was not gonna go well. 

"So Ares called, and Poseidon."

"And." She urged, now more serious and concentrated. I took a deep breath and told her, 'You can do this Percy'  I said, reassuring myself.

"They want me to join the SAS, for one eight month deployment - to kill a warlord in Afghanistan who is responsible for thousands of civilians deaths." I rushed my sentence out as quickly as possible, hoping Annabeth wouldn't notice but she was too smart, now my brain was going haywire.

"And what are you gonna do?." Uh oh

"I am.... going to do it." I squeaked out, I had been accepting the slap, so when it came, It did not hurt as bad. 'We'll done Percy, couldn't of said that any better - now she's angry'  I reprimanded myself.

"And leave, your family out! - yeah right." She angrily shouted at me.

"Look Annabeth, I'm sorry - I did not want to do this but well Its the Gods, and I haft to it - even though they gave me an option. I gone over this so many times and I finally made up mind" I managed to say somewhat calmly

"How long will this last." Still obviously angrily at me. Damn.

"Eight months"

"Perseus. She said cold and calm "If you go on this, You leave your family behind but apparently! that doesn't matter. Its you just wanting to be the hero, like you always have been." Ouch.

"Annabeth, I don't want to do this, but I haft to to protect these people - I don't want to be the hero, I have done that enough for on lifetime. I promise you this."

"Fine." She said, less anger was visible "but, I'll have you know - that... Uhh, look I know you have to and I love you for it but have you not thought about everyone else? What will you mother say?" . Gods, I had never thought about that.

I responded with just a glance out the window.

"When do you leave?." She asked

"Next month"

"OK", She looked so heartbroken, but she quickly tore her face away. It was followed by a slamming of a door.

Crap.

///

Emerging out the office, I showed myself in front of my baby. Paige was now happily playing with a rocking horse, Paige seemed very happy doing this as so I left her to it. I couldn't tell her, at least not yet. Paige was now talking, basic words, though - this obviously shows how she has inherited my personality. Funny, happy, active, troublemaker and well... not so good in the clever department. She saw me and toddled over.

"Dada." She cheered. Paige made grabby motions with her hands, indicating she wanted to be lifted up so I did just that.

"How are you, Baby girl?!." She clapped her hands in response, whilst giggling. Carefully, I carried them to her high chair and set her in. I fed them some food, which she happily gobbled up. I sighed, looking down on her. I wouldn't tell her  just yet, I'd tell them when the times was right. However, I knew time was slowly running away. Five minutes later, my daughter had been put down for her nap. I followed suit a couple seconds later.

I sighed. We'll done Percy. 

30/1/21