Chapter 8

Y/N walked up on the deck the next morning groggily, neck feeling a bit stiff. She looked at the open sea, and then observed Annabeth and Tyson. Taking out the bag Hermes left for her, she ruffled through it, trying to look for a balm.

"Yeah, I fixed your head when I woke up but I guess you slept the wrong way too long," Annabeth said.

"Thanks," Y/N yawned and closed her eyes, feeling the breeze.

"So...I overheard you and Percy talking yesterday. Are you and....Harris?" Annabeth cleared her throat and asked her.

"Woah, um-" Annabeth's words seemed to wake Y/N up properly. "Yeah," she chuckled, "I'm not so sure about that. I didn't exactly.."

"Well I think he kind of likes you. I mean..the way both of you look at each other?" Annabeth told.

"It's not the kind of feelings you guys have, if that's where you're going," Y/N said. If there was something she was confident about, it was her feelings for Percy. As for Harris, she won't deny that there isn't something but...it wasn't the same that she had for him. She hated to admit it but ofcourse, apart from the fact that Harris was a great friend, all these new stuffs with him was...just a distraction.

Annabeth blushed and looked at her, "I don't know. Percy and I are just not...I don't know. We don't have the thing that you guys have."

"Then clearly you guys have something more," Y/N chuckled and looked at her. Annabeth just stared at her for some time and said, "I know."

Y/N observed her expression but it felt...weird. Her eyes were not the same that Percy held when she came to know about his feelings. It's like...she wasn't content with what she had. It made her feel a bit bitter. She had what Y/N wanted to have but she just...

"I know you guys have fights and all but it will be fine soon. I mean, we have a lot of things going on right now. So you guys don't really have the time to be all lovey-dovey," Y/N sighed and sat down.

Annabeth on the other hand felt bad. Bad for keeping it from her. But, obviously, it was for their friendship right? It would make things worse if she told her friend that the 'I know' wasn't meant for Percy and herself. 

It was for the fact that she knew about Y/N's feelings.

The said boy arrived a moment later, followed by Clarisse. He walked towards Annabeth and held her hand. Y/N got up and excused herself saying she needed to use the washroom.

Clarisse grabbed a pair of binoculars from a zombie officer and peered toward the horizon. "At last. Captain, full steam ahead!"

They looked in the same direction as she was, but they couldn't see much. The sky was overcast. The air was hazy and humid, like steam from an iron. If they squinted real hard, I could just make out a couple of dark fuzzy splotches in the distance.

The engine groaned as they increased speed.

Tyson muttered nervously, "Too much strain on the pistons. Not meant for deep water."

After a few more minutes, the dark splotches ahead of us came into focus. To the north, a huge mass of rock rose out of the sea-an island with cliffs at least a hundred feet tall. About half a mile south of that, the other patch of darkness was a storm brewing. The sky and sea boiled together in a roaring mass.

"Hurricane?" Annabeth asked.

"No," Clarisse said. "Charybdis."

Annabeth paled. "Are you crazy?"

"Only way into the Sea of Monsters. Straight between Charybdis and her sister Scylla." Clarisse pointed to the top of the cliffs.

"What do you mean the only way?" Y/N asked, entering shortly after, "The sea is wide open! Just sail around them."