Surfing Lessons

Hey all! Here's a little change of pace for Day 8! Just some wholesome, Batfam content for today. Enjoy! 

Cassie, Tim, and Jason make their way to the ocean, surfboards in hand. "Come on, Tim," Jason teases. "It's never too late to learn."

Tim sighs, "It's definitely too late for me."

Cassie smiles, "Little brother, you can at least try." 

"Whatever," Tim says, "let's just get this over with."

Jason dives onto his surfboard and starts to paddle out in between sets. He ducks dive under a smaller wave and paddles into the swell. Cassie follows his lead and dives into the ocean. Tim timidly lays on his surfboard and paddles into the waves, trying his best to follow his siblings' leads. 

Jason stops just after the reef and sits upright on his surfboard. Cassie lays flat on her board just next to Jason. Tim tries to paddle against the current. Tall waves crash over his head. Tim shakes the water out of his eyes and keeps paddling. Cassie giggles at Tim's attempts to swim against the water. Jason laughs out loud as a larger wave pushes Tim off of his board. 

Jason paddles over to Tim and puts his feet on the front of Tim's surfboard. Jason paddles with Tim in tow. Tim sighs as Jason helps him to the breaking point. Cassie giggles as a defeated Tim joins them on the reef. 

"Guys," Tim sighs, "This is mortifying. I cannot do this." 

Cassie giggles, "Little brother, you promised you would try." 

"Yeah, come on, Timmy. Who knows, you might be good at it?" Jason smiles. "Watch me and Cassie go first, then we'll help you get up." 

"Fine," Tim sighs, "Show me how it's done." 

Jason grins, "OK, Timmy, boy!" 

A swell builds up behind Jason. He paddles his surfboard hard and fast. The nose of the board dips over the edge, and Jason crouches on the back of his board. Jason stands up and puts his left foot behind him, on the edge of his board. Jason plants his weight on his back foot and steers his board to the right. Jason glides over the clear water. He shifts his back foot quickly and his board skims over the top of the wave. He turns in a 360 as the wave dies down behind him. 

Tim shakes his head, "Cassie, I can't do that. Please show me something simpler." 

Cassie nods, "Sure thing, little brother."

Cassie chooses to ride a smaller swell. She paddles into the simpler wave and stands up, confident, on her surfboard. Cassie glides on the wave. She uses no fancy tricks, she just rides the wave until it starts to peter out. Jason applauds further down the reef. 

"Way to go, Cassie!" he yells.

Cassie paddles back to her brothers and smiles confidently. "See, little brother. When the swell comes, paddle hard and fast. Once the nose is over the edge, balanced on the end of your board and get on your feet. The water will take you from there." 

"OK..." Tim says, unsure. "I can try." 

A decent swell raises behind Tim. "Go, Tim, go!" Jason yells.

Tim paddles hard. He makes his way to the edge of his board and tries to stand up. The nose of his board isn't quite over the edge. Once Tim stands up, his board wobbles dangerously. Tim falls into the ocean and the wave behind him crashes on his head. 

When Tim comes out of the water, he spits out some of the ocean out of his mouth. "I suck at this."

Jason laughs and Cassie giggles. "No you don't, Timmy," Jason says. "You just need time."

"Yeah," Tim sighs as he gets on his board, "I need all the time in the world before I'll get this."

"Little brother," Cassie says, "It is normal to feel discouraged. All you must do is keep trying."

"Easy for you to say, you both are naturals." Tim sighs.

"You'll get it, Timmy," Jason says. "Let's keep going." 

After a few hours, Tim and Cassie are standing on the same board while Jason films. Tim smiles as Jason and pushes Cassie off the board. The three Waynes surf and laugh all day. At sunset, Tim finally catches his first good wave. Jason and Cassie cheer as their younger brother roll confidently onto the beach. 

The siblings buy ice cream and stroll into the manor proudly. They're all covered in sand, and their hair is all over the place. Jason and Tim smell like salt and Cassie still look stunning (as always). Alfred sighs when he looks at all the sand tracked into the house. 

Cassie and Jason lift Tim upon their shoulders as they strut into the Batcave. Bruce and Dick chuckle while Damian rolls his eyes. The siblings laugh and congratulate Tim for his success. Alfred smiles and turns back to the hallway, ready to sweep up the sandy mess. 

Thanks for reading Day 8. Stay whelmed and crash the mode. (Word Count: 838)

-the4robins