"Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of The Carters versus Roger. Are both sides ready?"

"Ready for the Carters, Your Honor."

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor."

"Will the clerk please swear in the jury?" Judge Michelle asked.

The clerk turned to the jury and gave them instructions on what to do before they repeated what was needed of them,

"The first thing that happens in a trial is called opening statements. This is when each attorney can tell the jury what evidence they will present during the trial. The Carter's lawyer goes first and the defendants goes next."

"Your honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury; my client would like to sue for attempted murder, assault, hate crime, emotional distress, excessive force, and lastly defamation of character. The defendant has attempted to murder my client's son who is a black male boy, which leads us to believe that this was an hate crime and an attempted murder. These video footages will show that there were multiple occasions where this man has not only been racist towards other black males, but the force he used on my clients son. The evidences along with the many many files of complaints will prove to you that the defendant is guilty." Armani's father stated.

"U-uh y-your Honor and ladies and g-gentlemen of the jury: under the law my client is presumed innocent until proven guilty. During this client you will hear no real evidence nor see real evidence to support the accusations of a hate crime. You will come to know the truth, and that truth is that my client Roger is no racist nor no executioner. My client is not guilty."

"Bullshit." Armani mumbled under her breath.

"After the opening statements, witnesses are called to testify about what they know about the case. Sometimes the attorneys want to show physical things like a weapon, photograph, or video to the jury. These things are called exhibits. The jury may only consider and exhibit if the judge admits the exhibit into evidence when they meet to decide whether the defendant if guilty or not guilty."

"The prosecution may call it's first witness."

"The Defendant calls the witness of the incident."

Armani looked back at Jamarcus who sat beside his mother nervous as could be and teary eyed as the Bailiff came and brought him to the witness stand.

"Please Stand. Raise your right hand. Do you promise that the testimony you shall give in this case before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

"I do." Jamarcus said confidently.

"Please state your first and last name."

"Jamarcus Murphy."

"Please spell your last name for the record." The reporters say.

"Jamarcus where do you work?"

"I work at Finish Line in the mall."

"What mall?"

"Water Tower Place."

"And you were off the day of the incident-- December 10th correct?"

"Yes I had that whole weekend off."

"Why were you off?"

"Objection! This has nothing to do with the case."

"Defendant get to the point."

"You claim you were there the day of the incident, so is there any details of the incident that you may have lied about?"