Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

Scouring the room, she found a security camera in the corner. Staring at it for a few long moments, she wondered what kind of stuff happened in the room that they'd need to record.

If they only brought in kids from the Mazes, why would they even need interrogation rooms? 

When Janson returned, he held a plate with a single piece of toast smothered in butter. Clara wasn't going to refuse it, and as Janson sat down opposite her, she began to eat.

She could tell he wanted to ask her questions, but she didn't care. Her refusal to make eye contact with him forced him to awkwardly clear his throat and interrupt her quiet eating.

"Tell me about the Maze. What it was like when you got there, what happened, how you got out."

He watched her expectantly, and she mentally slapped herself when she realised she'd have to explain. Swallowing her mouthful, she leaned back in her chair and stared at Janson blankly.

"There wasn't much when we arrived: a few animals, a shack, some supplies. We had to build stuff, we ran the Maze, we made a society. Then a few years later, we escaped. That's it."

Janson tried to hide a scowl upon understanding that Clara wasn't going to go into detail. She merely smiled innocently back at him, knowing he wasn't going to press the topic further.

"Look," He leaned forwards, with an unknowing glint in his eyes. "You can trust me, Clara. Thomas told me yesterday that he had some visions about you. Is there anything he told you about WCKD that we need to know?"

Clara's heart lurched then, and she couldn't help but wonder why Thomas would tell Janson about that. She trusted Thomas' judgement, of course, but she couldn't bring herself to put trust in the creepy man sat in front of her.

"They're assholes. That's it." She replied bluntly.

A flicker of something she couldn't understand passed over Janson's face. Then, before she could analyse it, he stood abruptly from his seat and made his way over to the door.

"You should go. You have a busy day ahead of you."

She nodded happily in agreement, getting up from her seat and not saying another word to Janson as she left the room. She didn't notice him cursing under his breath as she did so.

It wasn't that busy of a day.

She had a few injections, ran a few treadmills, and had some blood tests. It seemed that they just wanted to observe them; see how they may have changed after the Maze.

That evening, she was reunited with her friends again. They sat around the same table as before, and the girl noticed that Thomas looked even more antsy than usual.

They ate their dinner, and Janson came in once again to read out another list of names of people leaving to the Safe Haven. Clara barely listened, her eyes instead on the dark haired boy beside her who was bouncing his leg up and down; seemingly filled with nervous energy.

"Are you okay?" She whispered under her breath, eyes darting across the table to make sure no one else could hear her.

Thomas jolted out whatever trance he was in, eyes snapping away from the East Wing's door, and to her face. He frowned slightly, and she raised her eyebrows curiously.

"You know that boy, Aris?" He nodded across the room to where he was sat; the boy who had been pointed out yesterday as the kid in the facility for the longest. "He came into my room last night, through the vent."

"The vents?" 

Her voice came out louder than intended and Newt and Frypan were both staring at her in bemusement. She gave them both a sheepish smile and Frpyan rolled his eyes, looking at Janson again. Newt, on the other hand, was still watching her warily.