Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

"From now, someone has to be watching him, all the time. We are not leaving him alone."

Everyone agreed with Newt's demands, but no one had a chance to respond before Gally appeared from the doorway. He had a guarded expression on his face, as if suspicious of something, but Clara knew that he couldn't have known what just happened with Alby.

"Greenie, it's sundown." He said sternly, although the girl could tell he was relishing the chance to lock Thomas away. "Time to hit the Slammer."

Thomas was clearly wishing someone would object to this; but Newt and Clara both remained silent. After a moment, he moved after Gally dejectedly, glancing quickly to the blonde girl before disappearing from the hut.

"You should all get some sleep." Newt offered, sighing. "I can take watch on Alby."

"Newt, you're not a Med-jack. It's fine, I can-"

"-He's my friend, Clara."

Newt spoke firmly but gently, and the girl didn't need him to say a single thing more for her to understand how much he wanted to look after Alby. They had been best friends for years. She wasn't going to object.

"Okay." She replied softly, patting his shoulder gratefully.

Clara turned to Clint, Jeff and a cautiously looking Teresa, gesturing for them to all leave with the prospect of sleeping. Her fellow Med-jacks immediately headed off towards their hammocks, hushed whispering barely audible when they were only a few feet away, but Teresa didn't seem to know what to do.

Of course, she didn't have a room yet. She only woke up today. 

"Hi." Clara greeted awkwardly, cringing at her terrible social skills.

Teresa didn't seem to see it the same way; instead she smiled thankfully at the girl's words to her, saying the same in reply. She didn't need to say she felt a little lost for Clara to realise it.

"You can take my room." She pointed over to the Homestead. "Up the stairs, first door on the right."

"You don't have to-" 

"-It's fine, really. I'll sleep in a hammock." Clara reassured the girl, who gave her a sheepish but grateful smile. "And uh-"

She looked down to her feet then, trying to find the right way to word her thoughts. She wanted to know what the girl knew; but she understood that Teresa might not want to tell her. 

She doesn't know her. She knows Thomas - somehow - and so he might be the only person she trusts.

"I don't know what Thomas told you about me- Not that he told you anything! There's not really anything to know-"

Clara was beginning to ramble, and Teresa couldn't help but become amused by her attempts to save herself from embarrassment. She was failing, but Teresa didn't really mind.

"-I know you're the only one he told about the visions. He trusts you."

Clara felt her stomach twist nervously then, as Teresa watched her with intrigued eyes. The blonde girl knew that Thomas considered her a friend as she did him; but until then she didn't really realise how much he considered her to be his friend.

Excluding Teresa, he trusted her and only her with information that could potentially get him Banished to the Maze (although Clara imagined if Gally got one whiff of the visions, he'd just kill Thomas himself).

"Do you remember anything?" She asked Teresa in a low voice, trying to avoid any eavesdroppers hearing.

The girl paused, looking conflicted. It was after a moment, when she told herself that Thomas trusted Clara completely, that she felt she could open up to the girl.