10

"send in the next one." daichi mumbled as he crossed out another name out of the list.

"something about that one bothered you?" ennoshita asked, ready to write down yet another set of comments from daichi.

"yes. every single time i mentioned the boys he licked his lips, did you not see that? and his questions only had to do with when i am out and how old the kids are and stuff like that. he's creepy as hell, tell kenma to put surveillance on him, i have a bad feeling about him in general." daichi took a sip of water. "how many left?"

"well, we have went through the total of seventy two applicants, twenty two have cancelled due to short notice and the rest are late. so, i think our best choice is applicant number forty seven, the old lady who brought us a pie. she seemed fine and i like her." ennoshita stated only to be met by daichi's cold stare.

"so you didn't notice the fact that she was a prime suspect in her daughter-in-law's murder? or did that fact just escape your head?" daichi asked. "i think we might have to collect another hundred applicants... how hard is it to find a babysitter?"

"well, your offer is very tempting so i'm not surprised we are getting so many shady people. though, i think it would be good to finish up, i don't know how much i trust hanamaki and matsukawa in that room with them." ennoshita rubbed his temples. "one minute they are talking, the other he is teaching them bomb mechanics."

"i mean, they will be growing up in this household. might as well learn from young age about some stuff." daichi sighed and put his pen down. "okay, let's wrap this up."

"oka---" just as ennoshita was about to close the tab of all the names of applicants, the doorbell rang. daichi raised an eyebrow for just a minute before giving ennoshita a slight nod of approval to open the front door and let in whoever was waiting outside.

it took ennoshita a few minutes to come back into the room with what seemed to be the last applicant of the day. from the way he was standing daichi could tell he was mustering up all his courage to be there at that place at that exact time, his knees weren't shaking, he held onto a folder in his hands tightly, but you could see how his eyes darted around everywhere, inspecting the space.

ennoshita gestured him to sit down but before he did, he, unlike all the other applicants, took a step towards daichi instead. with a slight bow and a quiet but a strong "good evening, sir." he put forward a folder he had been holding onto daichi's desk and pushed it towards him.

"good evening. what is this?" daichi asked as he cautiously inspected the folder.

"oh, it's my resume, my cv. i believe it's best for you to see my qualifications with letters of recommendation right off the bat." he spoke. his voice... there was something about it. he was confident, oh yes, he didn't stutter, he sat straight with a nice posture, yet it seemed like behind everything - he wasn't all that confident in himself - but maybe it's just daichi's imagination.

"oh, right, thank you." daichi said quietly as he opened the folder up, surprised to see how neatly and nicely everything was arranged. "so, sugawara koushi. you local here?"

"i moved here a few years ago, sir. while i still discover some new places from time to time, i would say i am pretty accustomed to the area." sugawara answered, waiting patiently for more questions to come.

"and it says here you have previous experience babysitting?" daichi looked up at the applicant. he wasn't sure what he was expecting to see, but it wasn't.... that. in the dim light provided only by a few lamps and a desk lamp, the man in front of him looked so incredibly soft and wise, his facial features were perfectly aligned and his gaze could put an insomniac to sleep.