Chapter 37: It's me Again

Start from the beginning

~🦋~

"It's time to head inside kids" I called, the light outside was almost all gone and I didn't want anyone getting sick.

"Aww" Eri and Kota whined but got up anyways.

"What about her?" Kota asked, motioning to the dog. I looked at the dog and it stared back at me with a head tilt.

"Don't look at me like that" I muttered, the dog let out a small bark. "She can stay, but you both have to take good care of her"

"What?!" Kota and Eri asked excitedly. They started jumping up and down.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" They both repeated. I chuckled in response waving bye to Ellie and Iroh.

"You're the best!" Kota yelled, running to the house with the dog close behind. Giving me a quick hug before entering.

"Thank you dad!" Eri squealed, following after them. I paused by the door and watch them run inside. I don't even think Eri caught what she just said.

I wordlessly went into the house, making sure the kids cleaned themselves up and had dinner. I got the dog some uncooked meat, I would have to buy dog food tomorrow.

"What should we name her?" Kota asked as he ate his dinner.

"Something pretty!" Eri said, also eating her dinner.

"What do you think, Y/N?" Kota asked.

"It's up to you two" I waved off, putting a bowl of water on the floor.

"Hmmmm, what about Fly?" Kota asked.

"Or Monarch" Eri suggested. They both looked like they were struggling.

"How about Luna?" I asked. Kota and Eri thought for a few seconds before nodding vigorously.

"Another name for the moon" Kota acknowledge and I nodded in response. The kids finished their dinner and ran upstairs, Luna following them. I cleaned up the table, and went upstairs as well.

"What are you two doing?" I asked. Kota was laying on the floor in Eri and Jupiter's room. Luna was laying there as well.

"I want to be in the same room as Luna!" Kota explained, putting the dog. Eri laid down on the other side of Luna.

I huffed out a laugh and grabbed the blankets from the bed. I made it into a blanket fort, I used to do the same with Jupiter.

"There, tomorrow we can talk about room arrangements" I said after finishing the tent. Kota and Eri both beamed happily at the tent and crawled inside, Luna followed after them. I grabbed two pillows and extra blankets, throwing them inside the tent so they wouldn't get cold.

"Goodnight" I said, leaning down so I could see them.

"Goodnight!" They both said, snuggling into the blankets. I pet Luna and I clicked the light off, shutting the door half way.

I got to my own room, taking a quick shower and changing into something comfortable. I laid in bed, not able to go to sleep.

Eri called me dad. I know I called Kota my son before, but it was to tease him. Sure I saw them as my responsibility, but there was something that stopped me from calling them my actual kids. And Eri calling me dad just threw me off.

After a few hours of just laying down, I got up and walked down the hall. I looked through the cracked door, seeing Kota and Eri fast asleep.

I continued to walk downstairs and opened the front door. I stood on the front porch and put my arm around the railing that separated the porch from the lawn.

I looked up at the sky, spotting Jupiter immediately.

"Hey, it's me again. I'll make this quick, since you're probably up there, playing with your mom. So, I'm in a bit of a situation right now. I've met a lot of people that picked me up when I was so close to falling completely. But there's this space that in my heart that I kept for you, and it makes me feel so empty now that you're gone. And, I think the reason why I don't try to fill it in again, is because I can't let you go. But, would it be okay if I tried to fill the spot you left, so I can cope? Just until I can see you again?" I asked, looking up. I let out a shaky breath, continuing to hug the rail.

"You probably have no way of answering that" I admitted with a humorless laugh.

I looked ahead of me and saw a blue butterfly fluttering towards me. It was night, so the butterflies shouldn't be out at this time. I stuck my finger out and the butterfly landed on it. I smiled at it, letting my tear filled eyes travel towards the sky again.

"Thank you, so much" I whispered. The butterfly flew away, and I could no longer see it. The slightly opened front door was pushed open and I turned around to see who did it.

Luna walked out and nudged my hand. I let go of the railing and kneeled down.

I ran my hands through her fur and she sat completely still.

"You watch those kids with everything you've got. I'm counting on you whenever I'm not there" I whispered. Luna put her paw on my knee. "I'll take that as a promise" I laughed and got up.

Each one of those kids, in UA, Eri and Kota, all my old students. They might just make me feel whole again.

A/N: Y/N asking Jupiter for permission to try and heal is so wholesome