• ily before the first date

fundy sat in bed with a carton of ice cream in hand, he was stuck watching the night pass as usual. always was he alone, and the one time he actually tried to to actively ask someone out on a date, he only got crickets. he heard a knock on his door, confused as it was only a while after midnight, either one of his friends were in trouble or it was just the wind playing tricks on him. nonetheless he got out out of bed and made his way up to the front door, he could see a silhouette standing near the window.

what's the worst that could happen when opening the door to a stranger in the middle of the night? he's going to die alone anyways.

the door handle clicked as he opened it, the figure was already walking away but they looked back in time to see fundy staring confused. it was the familiar green hoodie of dream that caught his eyes first. why was dream here?

"fundy..." dream waved awkwardly, "hi."

fundy waved back, hesitantly. "hey, dream, what are you doing here?"

"i was just in the neighborhood, thought i'd stop by and--"

"it's the middle of the night..." fundy trailed off. the last time he spoke to dream was to ask him if he wanted to watch treasure planet with him, which he obviously only got a silent answer. "what are you really doing here?" he asked.

dream dipped his head down, like he was... embarrassed? fundy's confusion only grew. "i had a nightmare and decided to kind of walk it off," dream explained, "and i eventually ended up here. sorry for interrupting your night--"

"dream, would you like to come inside?" fundy asked quickly before dream could fully turn away. the mentioned tilted his head.

"really?"

"yeah," fundy nodded, opening the door much wider to seem more welcoming. "i can set up a movie if you'd like a distraction from your nightmare?"
dream smiled, "can we uh- watch treasure planet?"

"really?" fundy questioned, trying to not let his excitement drown out his concern for his friend.

in reality, he was freaking out inside. sure this maybe wasnt an official date with dream, but it was definitely something. he sat down on the couch next to dream and handed him a small portion of his reheated dinner. the two sat silently as the beginning title displayed itself across the screen.

"sorry for not responding to your invitations right away," dream mumbled, looking down at the food that he began to poke at.

"it's fine dream, look at us now! we're finally watching the movie," fundy responded.

"yeah, but i think i should mention that I really do want to go on a date with you. i'm just kind of nervous about the whole thing."

"what whole thing?" fundy asked, confused yet oddly happy.

"fundy, i've never actually committed to being in a relationship before. it's usually all just jokes and friendly affection-- im scared that i'll fall out of love with you and hurt you," dream said, hiding his face slightly.

"i wouldn't worry, you'd actually have to be in love with me to actually fall out of..." fundy stopped, looking over at dream. "are you?"

"sorry, i didnt mean for this to be awkward, im usually more put together--"

"dream, please just keep talking," fundy begged.

"you wont judge me if i say i love you before the first date, will you?" the blond whispered.

"that'd be highly hypocritical of me," the ginger responded.