"i know, darling," i say with the same excitement. i hold on to her waist as she tries to jump up again.

"PAPA, LETS GO WAKE EVERYONE UP AND TELL THEM THE NEWWWWSSS!" she wriggles out of my grip and runs away from me, her light blonde hair flailing behind her.

"abigail!" i curse under my breath and trot after her. i find my daughter banging on her older sister's door.

"LILLY! LILLY! LILLY! WAKE UP LILLY!" abby screams.

"hey!" i pick her up, making her giggle and squirm. "just open the door, don't shout. it's too early," i kiss my daughter's head and place her back down. as soon as her slippered feet touch the hardwood, she's barging into the dark room, where lilly is feebly stirring in her bed.

i decide to walk over and wake her up gently, brushing hair out of her face while abby shakes her almost violently.

"go away," she grumbles, to which i chuckle.

"DADDY'S COMING HOME! DADDY'S COMING HOME, LILLY!" lilly sits up abruptly and hugs her sister to her chest. i smile at the scene, abby with her limbs wrapped completely around her big sister and her nose tucked into her shoulder.

"yeah, he's coming home, kiddo," lilly seems emotional, which i can understand.

"c'mon, lets go eat. i can make whatever you want," i pet lilly's hair and abby jumps up and runs to the kitchen.

"he's coming home," lilly repeats quietly, as if it's an unbelievable secret.

"he is, now c'mon before your sister destroys the kitchen."

"PAAPAAAAAAAA?!" crash.

"fuck me," i curse under my breath, ambling my way to the sound of the crash.

i find the small blonde sitting criss cross on the floor, picking froot loops off the kitchen tiles. "i spilled the cereal," she states through a mouthful of colour.

"abby! let me help you," lilly sighs and starts shovelling the little cereal pieces back into the box.

"you're not gonna throw them out?" i ask, making my way to the kettle so i can start on my morning tea.

abby rolls her eyes. "no, papa. that's a waste. besides, the floors are clean."

"oh yea? when was the last time you mopped?" i sass, leaning my back against the counter.

"doesn't matter," she hums in return.

after eating breakfast (pancakes, requested by abby) we all get dressed. i feel like there's a lot of pressure on me, this is the first time in forever i'm seeing my husband and i have to make a good impression. eventually, i decide on black skinnies and an oversized light grey sweater. the only printing on the hoodie is a small sunflower plastered in the corner where a chest pocket would usually be.

i freshen up in the ensuite, taking a deep breath before leaving and going downstairs. lilly is stuffing her phone in her pocket and starting for the stairs when i close my bedroom door. she's wearing ripped mom jeans and a baggy pink shirt, presumably tucked in at the front.