3

A Lady Knight is a soldier as well as a woman.

All the male Knights are descended and recruited from the men who went off to war. Hence, Lady Knights are extremely rare.

The road to becoming a knight at all is also quite steep. It’s necessary to train as a squire of a senior knight. Furthermore, there is a rule that was inspired by the old traditions, which said that you require a recommendation from yet another knight to become a squire.

Since there are so few Lady Knights, most of them are Royal Knights who protect the Ladies of the Court. Hence, it is difficult to get acquainted with a Lady Knight, let alone get a recommendation from them. For women who wish to become knights, it is customary for the country to sponsor them and introduce them to a Lady Knight.

This Lady Knight also has a squire who was sponsored by the country, a year after she was knighted herself. Or at least that was the story. Somehow, the squire just doesn’t feel motivated to train. She was always scolded for not acting knightly but such is the way the wind was blowing.

The Squire’s training is over for today. As she was still apathetic, a messenger brought the Lady Knight a letter from the Princess.

It was a summons to her chambers later that night.

At the Princess’s room, two people stand on a small terrace. Their conversation is inaudible to anyone in the castle because of the night breeze. It was perfect for secret conversations.

“What happened?” asked the Lady Knight.

With tears in her eyes, the Princess says, “I’m going to be engaged.”

The Lady Knight was at a loss for words. She looked up to the heavens and wondered if the time had finally come.

“I see,” she said. “You’ll make a wonderful bride.”

There is no way that a knight can interfere in the matchmaking between royal families.

The Princess knew this, but even still, the tears flowed her eyes as she heard the Lady Knight’s words.

“Is that so? My chest hurts so much, it feels like my heart’s been torn to pieces.”

The Princess puts her arm around the Lady Knight’s waist as usual.

There was usually an order after but now, she doesn’t say anything.

At a loss, the Lady Knight hugged her. She held the Princess without worrying about who could see them.

Eventually, as they left the terrace and returned to her chambers, the Troublesome Squire clinging to the castle walls listening and watching said:

“Is it time to act? The players are making their moves, it might be too late.”

This Troublesome Squire was a spy from the neighboring country.