Tip #20: Describing Sci-Fi Equipment

Start from the beginning

Then, you should be able to distill down the device's primary function into a single sentence. You can add extra information about it in your story for sure. However, your reader should be able to easily understand what this thing does—no matter how complicated it is. That's why we suggest a core, one-sentence description.

For instance, consider some real technology. What does a cell phone do? Well, it allows you to communicate with other people who also have one. You could add some information to that (texting, calling, accessing the Internet, etc), as well as a limitation (you have to have their identifying number to contact them), but the phone's base function is communication. Readers need to be able to understand that. If you're not clear in what it does, you'll lose them in the muddle of description and world-building.

Part 3: Why It Works

This is probably the hardest part. Depending on what kind of sci-fi/fantasy you're writing, you might not have to pin down the nitty-gritty details of it. However, even in a completely soft, no-science-attached setting, you as the author need to have some idea of how it does what it does. What rules in your universe allow it to function? Especially if you're writing soft sci-fi, it is okay to make up rules. Just make sure you're consistent. The audience needs to feel like there is a stable reality and that you're not pulling loop-holes out of nowhere.

Questions to consider:

- what powers the device?

- how much power does it take?

- how expensive is it to build/use?

- why does this device do this but other things don't
(in other words, what rules of your world allow it to function)?

- how many people have one of these?

- if everyone that has one uses it, how would that change your world?

- what restrictions are there on your device? what can't it do?

These answers should go hand-in-hand with what it does, but this kind of description is probably more complicated than that. We'll get into how in-depth you should go with explaining it in the next section, but the most important thing is that you know.

For reference, let's consider a cell phone again. A cell phone is powered by a battery, which is powered by a charger, which we plug into a specific outlet someplace that has electricity. It's built to send out and receive signals and things like radio towers and satellites pick up the signals and transmit them to other phones. Our cell phones are really good at sending text, voice, and image, but they can't, say, send anything actually physical anywhere. I'm no scientist, but that's a decent working idea of how phones function. Now I can start writing.

Warning: One of the most important parts of this step is making sure whatever rules that allow this device to work don't break your world if applied in a different way. If someone other than your hero having this device might cause the end-of-the-world-as-your-characters-know-it, you might have a world-building problem. If the same logic could be applied to a similar device but would cause the end-of-the-world-as-your-characters-know-it, you might have a world-building problem. You can fix this in a few ways.

1) You can change the rules of your world to be more specific. You know. So they don't cause the end of the world.

2) You can let your world evolve in your mind. Maybe this device has changed your world. Make that part of your story.

3) Hand-wave it / ignore it. Have your tech wizard say, "No, that only works for the doohickey because [mutter mutter, techno-jargon]." This is the laziest (but easiest) way. We really challenge you to think through the other two before you resort to this.

Section 2: Describing Your Device

We know this is getting long, so we'll keep this part brief. If you've done your homework in the previous section, this stuff should be a little easier. However, how you describe all that glorious world-building detail depends on your audience and what they're expecting. There's two scales to consider.

Scale 1: Children Fic to Adult Fic

This is probably pretty obvious, but if you're writing kid's lit, you don't want a lot of complicated words and jargon. Your mad scientist muttering science-y words to himself to give us some sci-fi flavor might be the exception. You shouldn't rely on it to convey your device's meaning though. Because kid's fic tends to be less complicated, you can get away with more hand-waving.

You can get a bit more complicated with YA and adult fiction. However, just be aware that most books are written on a fifth-grade reading level.

In children fiction, we suggest focusing on the look of the device mostly for the aesthetic. Form and function should be considered, but you don't have to describe every nut-and-bolt in detail. Even in adult lit, if your description is too complicated, people will skim it. Remember to get that golden, one-sentence summary of what the device does (either at the end or beginning of your description; better yet, sandwich it and reinforce your point). In any age group, that summary is the most important bit.

Scale 2: Soft Sci-Fi to Hard Sci-Fi

People who read hard sci-fi expect your descriptions to be scientifically plausible. You'll need to do your research for this genre. Your descriptions will need to be more thought-through and technical. In soft sci-fi, you can make up your rules. Soft sci-fi is basically fantasy with a metal gloss.

When you describe in hard sci-fi, your readers will probably want more of the theory (Step 3 stuff). In soft sci-fi, your readers will probably want more of the function (Step 2 stuff). The rules you give in soft sci-fi are for believability and consistency's sake; not science's. Don't bore your reader with three paragraphs of detailed, technical description. Give us what we need to know.

Final Thoughts

Whatever you're writing, make sure you read a lot of it. You'll get the feel for the genre and your reader's expectations. And as in any description or world-building, sprinkling is better than dumping.

Have any questions? Let us know and we'll get back to you.

Have anything to add? Leave us a comment, or better yet, write us an article. (;

Want to submit your own Tip? Comment in this book and email your entry to avadelauthors@gmail

Comment in this book and email your entry to avadelauthors@gmail.com. We'll review it, and if we think it's well-written and helpful to the Wattpad community, we'll post it! Your entry may be something you have written previously, even if it is published elsewhere. (=

Have a Request?
Comment on the first chapter with the topic you'd like to see. Your suggestion might just turn into an article!

 Your suggestion might just turn into an article!