seventeen.

chapter seventeen

THE TWENTIETH OF FEBRUARY is a near national holiday to the Gold family

THE TWENTIETH OF FEBRUARY is a near national holiday to the Gold family. Chris and Damon are in town for her mother's birthday. When everyone still lived under the same roof, there was always frantic handmade breakfasts and rushing to finish last-minute gifts. To say Helena Gold wasn't appreciated as a mother was an understatement.

The days of February have been flying by without remorse. Irena feels bad neglecting her phone but there's been a growing bustle as February slides into her calendar and all Izzy wants to do is go out.

Valentine's Day was a passing moment of tension — the holiday always made her uncomfortable, but Clay had promised to come and visit. When the day came and he told her he'd been coerced into streaming a silly game with Quackity, she felt bad being relieved. He had no idea of her guilt, though, so she supposed it all smoothed over well.

Now she's crammed with schoolwork, trying to juggle a hundred different design projects and essays. Work isn't helping...she's actually toying with the idea of quitting ( her favorite boss quit and the new one has been asking ridiculous hours from everyone without any care about their schooling or previous commitments ). The only thing stopping her is a fear of applying to new places and the comfortable wage that's helping her pay for her apartment. Not to mention, she needs to keep saving for a car.

She has off this weekend, though the only way she achieved that was through a lot of arguing and finding people to replace her shifts. Irena's worried she'll get fired before she quits if her new boss keeps clashing heads like this. Either way, she's grateful to be away from work for a few days.

Irena is waiting for her brothers to land — Chris and Damon both fly in for the occasion each year. They're picking her up from her apartment, and they'll stay around for a few days before departing back to their respective lives. Irena dials the only number she knows by heart as she packs clothes for the weekend.

"Morninggg," Clay drawls almost instantly. The camera feed shuffles as he adjusts, the flash of a gray blanket telling her he's still in bed.

"It's one," she muses.

"Fine, afternoon, then. What time will your brothers be there?" She's kept him updated on her plans over their rapid texting throughout the days leading up to the weekend.

"I'm not sure. Chris said he'll text me when they land."

"Nice. Sure you don't want to drive a few more hours and come visit?" He teases. Irena pouts, setting her phone up on the nightstand.

"I wish. I would if I wasn't so crammed with work next week. Classes aren't even that bad it's just work."

"Just quit if it's really stressing you out that badly," he urges. His eyebrows crease in concern and she pinches the bridge of her nose.