Abandoning the Palace (16)

Zaydan's willingness to help delayed the departure by a day as it meant the soldiers suddenly descended on the main palace demanding more rations for travel. The kitchens of the women's palace had all been almost emptied for travel but no one from the main palace took any notice. Honestly, if Marie-Fey had more time and slowed her departure time, there might have been more chance of questions being asked, but it was such a rush, there was no time for stock to be checked and discrepancies to be found.

Still, it was a relief when the first of the wagons set out the following morning, the others slowly following in its wake, Zaydan's men guiding the way as Marie-Fey watched from her balcony.

She was stunned nothing disruptive had actually happened in the four proceeding days. But nothing had. Everyone had cooperated. No one had informed the main palace of the mad plan – that she knew of at least.

But it was out of her hands. The women were each tucked away within the wagons, amongst their possessions, hidden away and compliant. She was sure she had Zaafira to thank for that. She didn't have command over the palace the way Zaafira did and they both knew it.

And yet Zaafira deferred to her, the same way Maanah and Gharam deferred to her. That, she felt, was what drove the rest to listen. The one who refused to bow to her was listening without comment, was following her lead to the letter and getting ready to leave without delay.

And now, as the women rolled away in their wagons, Zaafira stood at the doors to her balcony watching with folded arms.

"So you really intend to just stay?" she asked.

"Well there wouldn't be much point to me leaving, would there? I can't do anything without being here," Marie-Fey said calmly, turning around and leaning back against the balcony stonework, looking at Zaafira, Maanah and Gharam who looked back at her.

Zaafira's eyes were hard and steady as always.

Gharam was pale, eyes wide with stress and worry.

Maanah's expression was quiet and watchful, but Marie-Fey could see the underlying anger there as well.

She closed her eyes for a moment, folding her arms, then looked at them.

"You three need to hurry and leave, the last wagon will depart soon and you must be on it."

Zaafira gave her a dismissive wave at that and turned, heading for the doors without a second thought.

"We're staying," Maanah said, her voice firm and low.

Zaafira stopped to look back at them and Marie-Fey closed her eyes again, sighing,

"Do not sound so exasperated, how can you possibly think we would leave you?" Maanah snapped.

"I expect you to follow orders," Marie-Fey replied.

"M'lady—"

"No. No argument. I need you elsewhere. I need you gone from here and out of the way. I don't want you to stay. I won't have you here when he arrives."

"But we—!" Gharam started as Zaafira caught Maanah's arm and pulled her away.

"No!" Marie-Fey snapped, "you'll only get in my way. I don't want to worry about you while I handle other things. You're leaving with Zaafira. Today. Now. I don't need you here."

Gharam opened her mouth when Maanah looked back and said, "No, she's right."

"What?" Gharam cried, staring back at her, "You were the one who was adamant about staying with her last night."

"Yes, but she is right. We will get in the way of whatever she's planning. This is between her and Lord Zahir."

Gharam continued to stare at her as Marie-Fey narrowed her eyes. It was an odd turn of opinion, one only made after Zaafira had pulled her aside.