4

Word count: 1142 (not including this)

Oikawa ran towards the gym. He felt joyful for an unknown reason. Being able to run and feel the air touch his face and ruffle his hair made him feel alive. He felt free from everything.

As he savored this moment he had finally made it to the gym. Oikawa smiled. The gym. It was like his second home. He took in one last breath of fresh air before he stepped into the gym, ready to face Shiratorizawa head on.

Oikawa was met with a wide variety of expressions. Some people were disgusted, some were bored, and some were looking at Oikawa as they've always had.

The coach for Seijoh's volleyball team came up and said, "Ok, now that you're here we can start the practice match. Let's go everyone! Move your behinds!"

Oikawa quickly got into place and thus began the practice match between Seijoh, and Shiratorizawa.

~~~

It was Oikawa's turn to serve. He was nervous, because he knew deep down that Shiratorizawa was good. Very good.

Just as Oikawa was about to deliver his signature serve, he locked eyes with Ushijima himself, before crumpling to the floor. Oikawa let out a yelp of pain. As he fell, something unexpected happened. Ushijima, who was on the other side of the court, collapsed as well. Both boys were gripping their left pinkies, wailing in pain.

"Oikawa are you alrig-" Iwaizumi stopped mid sentence and took a good look at Oikawa and Ushijima, then his eyes lit up.

Oikawa on the other hand stared at the olive haired boy with pure hatred, knowing what had just happened. "Fuck you Wakatoshi." He spat, before taking off in the opposite direction.

Ushijima quickly got up, still gripping his hand. He glanced at everyone in pure shock before following Oikawa.

~~~

Oikawa was in a restroom stall, crying. "Why him? Why the fuck did it have to be Wakatoshi Ushijima?!" Oikawa punched the wall, relieving his anger. He was more angry than shocked. He'd known Ushijima for so long, and for so long he despised him. Oikawa despised the skill Ushijima had. He despised Ushijima. Oikawa genuinely hated the guy, he hated that he was always second to him. Oikawa saw Ushijima as nothing more than someone he had to beat. An obstacle he had to get through in order to go to nationals.

"Tōru, please come out." Ushijima said, standing right behind the door. Oikawa shuffled to face the door. He clenched his fists, took a deep breath, and opened the door.

Ushijima was surprised to see how cooperative and composed Oikawa was. Oikawa glared at Ushijima. "Are you ok?" Ushijima asked. Oikawa chuckled, "Tch, do I look fine dumbass?" Ushijima looked at Oikawa's tear streaked face, and took a step forward towards Oikawa, "You're my soulmate." Oikawa stared at the idiot in front of him. "I know dumbass, it's unfortunate, isn't it?" Ushijima looked at the floor before responding, "No, it's not really unfortunate, just surprising." Oikawa stared at Ushijima, glaring at him. "Well it's unfortunate for me, sorry it isn't for you. Goodbye." Oikawa pushed past Ushijima and walked back to the court.

As Oikawa walked back he felt as if the entire world was watching him. He picked up his head and glared at every single person. His fiery gaze met everyone's. "What the hell are you dumbasses waiting for?! Let's get back to the match." Oikawa growled. Upon hearing this, everyone scrambled back to their places.

Ushijima ran out of the restroom a few minutes later. He looked around him. Everyone was staring at him. Everyone except Oikawa. He knew Oikawa could feel the pain of the string, as he could too. Ushijima also knew Oikawa was pissed, so he got back into position and played just like he always did.

~~~

"Fucking hell!" Oikawa kicked the tree next to him. Aoba Johsai had lost to Shiratorizawa in the practice match. Oikawa was beyond furious. He had lost his temper and screamed at his teammates. Iwaizumi obviously didn't tolerate this and quite literally kicked Oikawa out of the gym.

Oikawa walked down a pathway through the town. He couldn't stop thinking about the loss, and Ushijima. Oikawa was angry. Angry that he had lost to Shiratorizawa, and angry at the fact that Ushijima was his soulmate. Oikawa wanted to punch the olive haired devil in the face.

As Oikawa trudged on, it started raining. 'Great, wonderful. Just my fucking luck. I didn't even bring an umbrella.' He thought. His walk sped up to a run and he was running towards anywhere that would protect him from the rain. He soon found a little fortune-teller's hut. Oikawa knocked on the door, praying someone would respond.

A head poked out, it was an elderly man. The man looked Oikawa up and down, before asking him, "Who are you? Why are you here?" Oikawa quickly responded, "Sir, it's raining outside and I haven't brought an umbrella, I was wondering if I could stay with you until the rain subsides!" The man thought for a second before nodding, opening the door for Oikawa.

Oikawa stepped into the little hut. It was nice and cozy, and it reminded him of his parents. The old man sat down at a table and gestured to Oikawa to come sit. Oikawa obliged. "So, who are you?"

Oikawa told the man, "Sir I'm Oikawa Tōru. I attend Aoba Johsai and I'm captain of the volleyball team." The man looked impressed, and continued questioning Oikawa.

~~~

After countless questions, the old man asked Oikawa "So Oikawa, I'm a fortune teller, would you like me to tell you your fortune? We haven't got much else to do anyways." Oikawa nodded. The old man pulled out a crystal ball, and put on robes of fine silk. He waved his hands around the crystal ball, glancing at Oikawa ever so often.

"Ahh, yes, very interesting...." The old man squinted. "Oh my. How sad...."

After several minutes of whispering and hand movements, the old man looked at Oikawa dead in the eyes. "The person you hate the most may seem bad, but if you don't accept fate, you'll lose them, and so much more my dear boy." Oikawa was lost in thought. 'The one you hate most? Would that be Kageyama or Ushijima? Wait. "Accept fate"? If he means the red string... does he mean Ushijima?' Oikawa's thoughts were interrupted by the old man dragging him out of the hut. "The rain had subsided son, please be on your way, and don't forget the fortune." Before Oikawa even had time to thank the elderly man, the door was shut and locked.

Oikawa wasn't fazed and began walking back to his dorm. He thought of the fortune. 'Is the old geezer just telling me to get with Ushijima and ignore the fact that I would rather murder Wakatoshi? Pfft he can't be, right?' Oikawa ran the rest of the way back to his dorm, trying to ignore all his thoughts about Ushiwaka and the fortune.