Chapter Seven

Natalie~

Natalie sat in the passenger side of Pierce's truck with her legs folded up into the seat, admiring his profile as he focused on the road. His expression was hard and serious like his thoughts were somewhere else, somewhere dark.

He caught her staring and softened his expression, slowly extending a hand out and wrapping it around hers. His rough, calloused hand was huge and dwarfed hers, engulfing it completely. She wasn't sure if the tender gesture was intended to be romantic or comforting, but it felt like a mixture of both, which she didn't mind at all.

"I'm not usually like this, you know," she said softly.

"Not usually like what? Gorgeous? Because I find that hard to believe."

His half smile and cheesy compliment melted her and was evidence that Pierce was charming in any situation, which meant it wasn't an act, it was just who he was.

"I mean I'm not usually this...broken." she corrected him.

The word broken dissolved Pierce's smile and he squeezed her hand lightly in response.

"You're not broken, Nat. Someone you trusted attacked you. You have every right to be scared, anyone would be. Scared isn't broken, it's normal, but it's not permanent."

She internalized his heartfelt words and gave him a smile in return as they pulled onto Kenneth's street.

"It's the last house on the right." She pointed out the house to Pierce and felt her pulse increase at the sight of it.

"He's got a gun somewhere in the house." she said shakily wanting to make sure she kept Pierce safe. She'd never forgive herself if something happened to him because of her.

"Yeah, and I've got a goldfish." he replied instantly.

Wrinkling her nose, she stared back at him in confusion. "What?"

"Oh sorry, I thought we were talking about shit that didn't matter." He gave her a cocky half smile that displayed his perfect teeth, clearly unfazed by the mention of the possibility of a gun.

"I'm serious Pierce. I don't want you to get hurt over my clothes. It's not worth it."

"Okay, okay. I appreciate your concern for me. I really do, it's adorable, but have I ever told you what I do for a living?" he said, maintaining his cocky grin.

"No, you said you used to be a Marine..." her voice trailed off and she already felt stupid as she spoke the words.

"Exactly. And now I work at a private security firm. I protect people for a living, Natalie. I rescue people from terrorists and sex traffickers. I think I can handle Kenneth." he said with a chuckle.

She knew he was right and felt idiotic for questioning him.

Of course he's some kind of black ops assassin, I mean look at him. Way to sound like an idiot Natalie.

The truck rolled to a stop outside of Kenneth's mansion of a home.

"When we get to the door I am going to stand off to the side so he can only see you. He won't open the door if I'm the first thing he sees."

Her palms started to sweat at the thought of being within Kenneth's reach again, but she tried to control her panic and trust that Pierce knew what he was doing.

"Once we get inside all you have to worry about is getting your things, I'll take care of Kenneth."

"Okay," she said, nodding her head with as much confidence as she could muster before looking down at her shaking hands.