Chapter 16 - "Small Talk"

!TRIGGER WARNING! there are mentions of abuse in this chapter, if you are sensitive to those topics, please don't read this!

Both of the boys were inside Kenma's room playing Mario Kart. Suprisingly, Akaashi managed to win most of the games.

"Damn, you're so good at this!" Kenma put down his controller angrily and covered his face with his hands.

"See? What did I tell ya?" Akaashi smirked at the smaller boy.

Kenma only responded by pouting and putting his controller back on the shelf.

The two spent the next few minutes chatting about school and other random things.

-

"Boys! Dinner is ready!" Kenma's mom called from downstairs.

"Okay! We'll be down in a moment!" Akaashi responded while getting off the bed.

Kenma inaudibly grunted and hopped off of his bed, walking out of the door with Akaashi following behind.

-

Kenma, Akaashi, and Kenma's mom were sitting at the table eating their food. Well, for the most part. Akaashi was just playing around with it, stirring the soba with his chopsticks.

"Akaashi, dear, are you going to eat?"

Akaashi looked over at the mom with an unreadable expression. "Yeah, I will."

"Okay, if you say so." She flashed a grin at Akaashi and went back to eating.

- A/N- sorry there's a lot of timeskips :'))

Everybody finished dinner and went back to their previous activities. Kenma's mom was watching TV and Kenma and Akaashi went back to the room.

"So.."

Akaashi looked over at Kenma. "Hm?"

"Care to explain why you wanted to stay over?" Kenma glared right at Akaashi and rested his chin on his palm.

Akaashi's face went slightly pale. He gulped. "I- uh.."

"Well, you don't have to tell me if you aren't comfortable with it, of course." Kenma turned his attention back to the switch in his hands.

Akaashi sighed. Do I tell him? 

"Okay, promise not to tell anyone?"

"Huh?"

"You promise not to tell anyone?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Not even Kuroo?"

"Yeah, yeah. I promise. Go on with it."

Akaashi looked down. "Uhm. My dad came back home from jail."

Kenma fully turned his attention to Akaashi. "And..?"

"Sorry, correction- abusive father."

Kenma's eyes wided. "Oh.. what happened?"

"Well uh.. I guess he still abuses me and stuff. Like, um.. two days ago I think, he was inside my house waiting for me. Y' know.. he p-punched me.. and kicked m-me." Akaashi's voice started to crack.

Holy shit. "I'm so sorry. Do you need me to call the cops for you..? Or anything to help you?" Kenma normally didn't know what to do in situations like this, so he just does what Kuroo normally did for him.

"No I'm fine, I think.." Akaashi pulled his sleeves over his hands until the sleeves reached his finger tips.

Kenma watched as Akaashi played with his hands through the sweatshirt that covered them.