Chapter 15: Sebastian

A week had passed

A week had passed. Even after these one-sixty-eight hours, an incident kept replaying itself in my head. Seeing Ava portal miles away from me.

Just stop thinking about her, my conscience insisted, but it's hard to forget someone you loved for so long.

Can you get over her? It's really annoying. There are much more important things to focus on.

I had not brushed my hair in six days. Looking at myself in the mirror I could only see trash, also known as my messy hair.  I threw hoodie on myself, covering the mess in my hair. I yawned and stretched, as I walked out of this new house of mine. I wanted to go and check on that swamp I had tumbled upon a few days ago. Ok so maybe I didn't tumble upon it. It called out to me. That made it more important right?

I stuffed my hand into my wooden drawer, feeling random things like pencil leds and all other trash. I felt my hand run over a piece of paper, like a scroll, remembering that I had gotten it home with me.

Who were they talking about? That question kept running over my head. It was probably either me or Ava, not sure who though. That's when it hit me; They are talking about me.

I was the one they were trying to kill, according to Ava at least. Which probably meant demons were going to come at me.

Maybe you should make the witches and demons fight with each other. One of them will die anyway and you can deal with the other. I really don't have patience to deal with both of them, my conscience suggested. I really didn't want to listen to her but what she said made sense. But, if the demons ended up winning, I won't get my revenge. I had to compromise.

What would Bethany want me to do?  She always thought that there was good in me. I believe there is good in me too. Is she looking over at me? Is she disappointed in the monster I've become? There were so many thoughts in my head, it felt as if it was a phone, filled with unread messages. I decided to clear my thought by working overtime at Mary's Milk Bar.

I looked at the mirror, knowing I couldn't go looking like a mess. Not having the patience to remove the knots in my hair, I quickly tied it up in a messy bun and switched my sweatpants with the only denim jean i happen to own.

Where I stayed now was closer to the ice cream place than it was before. It was only a two minute walk, before it stood before me. I flung the doors open, making sure I didn't bang anyone's face with it.

"Ren? What are you doing here?" one of my colleagues asked me. 

"Just trying to get some extra bills, you know" I said as I walked over to the cashier's table, asking if it was okay if I took over. As I placed a chocolate and vanilla ice cream on the weighing machine, I felt someone's presence around me.

"I'm hoping to get that for free", I heard him say. I looked up from the ice cream to be greeted by a man, in about his early twenties. His hair was somewhere between dark brown and black and he had a thick, scottish accent. I could feel everyone else's eyes on him while I was just annoyed that he made me look up from the ice creams.