Part 2 - Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

            “On my first night in Silla, right after I came from the Taklamkan desert, I had a dream. In my dream, I was still the young Deokman searching for Master Munno. I was in the marketplace asking the merchants about Munno’s whereabouts and was getting bewildered because of the conflicting answers that I had been getting. One merchant said that he was living in a monastery; another said that he was in Taekbaeksan while still another said that he was flying over the clouds and had become a god. I was so confused that I hurriedly left the merchants and ran towards the town square. While walking aimlessly, I bumped into a lady wearing white silk robes. Her clothes were so beautiful that she looked like a Shrine goddess. I was surprised when that lady suddenly bent down and hugged me. I then struggled to free myself from her embrace,” the Queen paused and closed her eyes. “When I looked at the Lady I saw that she was weeping. The strange thing was that last night, I had the same dream. This time I asked the Lady who she was,” she continued.

            “Please, Your Majesty. Let us talk about this at another time. For now, I need to know what is ailing you. Please tell me,” Lord Yushin insisted.

            “Who was the Lady in your dream, Your Majesty?” Lord Al Cheon asked. He looked at Yushin and slowly shook his head indicating that it’s no use asking her to rest. It would be best if they just let her finish her story; the Queen did not like discussing her condition.

            “I don’t know. I can’t remember if she answered my question. I couldn’t see her face clearly and I can’t seem to recall it now,” she answered.

            When the Queen opened her eyes, she looked directly at Lord Yushin. The sadness in her eyes was replaced by a look of fierce determination.

            “General,” she said, her voice now adapting the commanding tone that they had become so familiar with.

            “Yes, Your Majesty,” answered Yushin, glad of the sudden change in her demeanour.

            “I approve of your strategy. You must carry it out tonight,” she said.

            “Yes, Your Majesty. I will do as you command,” replied Yushin. He gave her a short bow and left to carry out her order.

            “Lord Al Cheon, please go and assist General Yushin with the preparations,” she said.

            “What about you, Your Majesty? Will you be alright while I’m gone?” he asked.

            The Queen looked up at him and smiled. She knew that he craved to engage the rebels in battle yet felt reluctant to leave her. Although she never gave it much thought before, she now understood that the deep devotion that Lord Al Cheon had shown her all through the years were more than what a loyal subject bestowed upon his ruler. He had become her closest ally and her most trusted confidante. They had developed a bond that transcended trivial human ties, and for that she was thankful.

            “Yes, Lord Al Cheon. Do not worry about me. I will rest for a while and then I will personally oversee the arrangements for tonight’s operation,” she answered.

            “As you wish, Your Majesty,” Al Cheon said.

            He bowed to her and made his way to the War Room where Yushin would be briefing the other officers. Before leaving the room, he chanced a quick glance at the Queen and found her lying in bed with her eyes closed. She seemed to be sleeping peacefully at least. Rest now, My Queen. Tonight will be a most trying night for you. You need to be strong for this.