Chapter 30

i look at you and
i see my future
it is gorgeous and bright

- Simplygeorgy

Ivan

"I will send you a copy of the script for you to read over in the next coming weeks, before the trial. Don't worry at all, we've got this."

As I curtly nod at my last client of the day, I begin to gather all the papers that were scattered right in front of me on the table. My client greets me goodbye and then leaves while I finally relax after a very hectic day.

Today has been the worst days of all days, since it was the first week on the new job, I haven't had a second to breath. I was working on high profile cases, fraud, white collar crime and even murder and it was definitely a change. For a second, when I rest my head back, I wondered why I even began this work because this made me realise that it's nothing I wanted to do. I was reminded that this all happened because of my father, who couldn't give a shit about me.

As I dwell in my thoughts, the sun had already settled and the dark sky took over. I inhaled a breath when a knock from the other side of the door harshly pulled me back to reality, and suddenly I was urged to pack up already and leave.

"Yes, come in."

The door opened but I didn't glance at whoever entered because I was busy packing the rest of my things up. However, when I heard their voice, I dropped everything and glanced up.

"Hello son."

When I glance up, I was met with Ortega. He walked in and stood at the centre of the room while Andres stood next to the closed door. I glanced at Anders for a split second and when I did, he gave me a curt nod, as a greeting and I responded by doing the same because I still had my respect for him. Anders was more of a father to me that Ortega ever was, which was the only reason why I despised the fact that I was seeing Ortega right now.

"What are doing here?" I ask plainly as I avoid him, while I continue to pack and sigh tiredly. Ortega had not spoke a word yet which only proved to me that he was observing me intently. I could feel his eyes boring into me but that didn't effect me, not at least anymore. Before, it did. And when it did, I hated it.

"Last time I checked, it's a free world son. I can come and go as as I please." He chuckled and then sat down on my couch opposite my table. "How have you been son?"

A wry laugh escapes past my lips as I continue to pile the scattered papers, this was unbelievable. When mom died, not only did I lose a mother but I also lost a father. It was like as if when she died, he stopped becoming a father to his children and it was truly a pain to endure because now, I was living with the consequences. Ever since mom died, he had never asked me this question, in fact he had not even shot a glance at my direction. All that ever mattered to him was his work and what other people would say.

Once I gathered everything, I grab my coat and head for the door as I continue to laugh, wryly but when Ortega stood up and stopped me, I had no choice but to stop and face him once again.

"I wasn't finished Ivan." He said, "Please come and join me, take a seat."

I glare at him for a second before I move slowly towards the table and sit down, as I did, Ortega returned to his seat. When silence comforted us, Ortega severed it immediately when he cleared his throat.

"Ivan, you need to return to Los Angeles, right away."

"Why?"

"Because your life is there."