Cupcakes and Horcruxes

Comenzar desde el principio

"Most of those books are about horcruxes and worse... and there's a portrait of Voldemort with a permanent sticking charm."

I groaned. But then again, horcruxes are an interesting concept. My parents never let me near the destroyed ones, even though I said that it was just for studying purposes. 

"Where is your library?"

It was one of the biggest I had ever seen, comparable to the Hogwarts library

It was one of the biggest I had ever seen, comparable to the Hogwarts library. I picked up a book with black binding that looked like this: 

 I picked up a book with black binding that looked like this: 

Just looking at the dark mark on the cover, I shuddered. Me, being Hermione Granger's daughter, started to read. 

Horcruxes are objects that contain a piece of a dark witch's or wizard's soul. Horcruxes can only be made by committing the supreme act of evil, murder. The process for the creation of a horcrux involves a spell and a horrific act is performed soon after the murder has been committed. They're considered to be the darkest art and darkest form of magic. 

The first known horcrux was created by Herpo the foul in ancient Greece. The next known creator of a horcrux is Lord Voldemort, who is likely the only person to have accomplished making more than one horcrux.

Horcruxes have a tendency to retain the identity of the creator at the time of its creation. Tom Riddle's diary, for instance, retained some of his personality traits as they were when he was sixteen. 

Horcruxes are essentially the opposite of a human, when it comes to soul destruction. A human could get hurt without any damage to their soul, but horcruxes fully depend on their containers to continue existence. 

For a horcrux to be destroyed, the object must be damaged beyond physical or magical repair. While a horcrux is being destroyed, things like a bloodlike substance coming out of it or a scream are common. Methods of destruction are basilisk venom, fiendfyre and the killing curse. 

As long as a horcrux exists, the creator will always be bound to the earth. If the person's body is killed, they will still stay in a spiritlike form, though for most death is preferable. It can also take control of people that get too close to it emotionally. It can also bring out the worst in people, if they spend too much time around it. For those who do not have an affinity for the dark arts, it can weaken them by darkening their thoughts. For those who do have an affinity for the dark arts, it will strengthen them. 

A horcrux can also feed on the life force or emotional force of something else. If they are left alone for a while, they have a tendency to look more like inanimate objects rather than carriers of a piece of somebody's soul. Horcruxes also have a 'last line of defense,' which they put up when they are about to be destroyed. 

Creating a horcrux has many unpleasant side effects. For one, there's dehumanization in looks and emotion. The soul holds humanity and ripping it will result in making a person go from attractive to a monster like appearance. Another side effect is instability. The final one is the inability to move on from limbo. 

The etymology of horcrux comes from old English hor, which means dirty or wicked, and crux, which means jar or container. 

"Rose? Are you okay?"

I looked up to see Scorpius staring at me. 

"No I... I'm fine." I assured him. 

Scorpius didn't look quite convinced. 

The reason why I got scared was stupid, to me it seemed impossible. 

But I can't deny that I have shown the symptoms of a horcrux around people.