02 🗡 Maidservant

Start from the beginning

No, this can't be. I need to stay alive, she thought worriedly. The best way to stay alive was to stay with the male lead or the female lead of the story because the main characters always had a high chance of survival. Since the female lead had yet to meet the male lead in a few more years, and since Yong Jie was the one in front of her at the moment, the guy was the obvious choice.

Furthermore, she knew that the warrior was heading to North Mountain country where the capital and the palace was located. To be able to get back to the modern world, she needed the help of someone powerful from this world, which was the old hermit living in seclusion in the North Mountain country. Dana decided that she would stick with Yong Jie no matter what.

From the pages of the ancient book she read, it was obvious that this era was rather conservative. A man and a woman must maintain their distance unless they were related, a couple, or they had a special relationship such as being master and servant, colleagues, disciples in their pursuit of scholarly arts or martial arts, among others. Yong Jie would certainly refuse to let her accompany him unless they had a special connection. Dana heaved a deep sigh as she came up with a decision. Being the male lead's maidservant was her highest chance of survival, and she was willing to take that chance.

Her anxious gaze met the questioning look on Yong Jie's face. Clearly, the man was confused as to why a maidservant was not ecstatic on gaining her freedom.

"M-Master Jie," Dana started, recalling how the servant in the gambling den formally addressed the man. "Master Jie, I don't have anywhere to go. Please take me with you. I'm willing to be your maidservant."

Yong Jie frowned at the quivering short girl. "Masters choose their maidservants. Maidservants don't choose their masters."

Oh no. Dana bowed her head down nervously, biting her lower lip.

"I told you, you are now a commoner. What servant doesn't dream of being a commoner? With the skills you have, you can be employed in any stores within this city."

"Please let me accompany you in your journey," the girl insisted. "I don't feel safe being in the same city as Old Hai and his wife."

"My journey is perilous. Bringing a maiden with me will be disadvantageous."

Yong Jie fastened the fabric containing all his belongings across his body and slung the bow and arrow holder on his shoulder. Afterward, he raised his right fist held by his left hand on his chest, giving the little maiden a fist and palm salute while bowing slightly. He then spun on his heels and walked away with long strides, leaving the girl behind.

*****

The small, hurried steps behind Yong Jie continued to follow him. He glanced back and saw the short maiden hastily turning around, trying to conceal her face with the darkness of the night. Across her body, a huge fabric of makeshift bag was tied, probably containing all her clothes.

The guy exhaled audibly while shaking his head in resignation. Being raised in a sect of martial artists after his parents left him there when he was a baby, there were not many things that could interest or concern him. There were also not many things that could threaten or worry him. For Yong Jie, achieving the peak of 'awakening' was something interesting. Having a maidservant tag along in his journey was not.

Ignoring the girl, he continued walking until he came across a group of men garbed in guard uniform. They were the guards of the traveling merchants who temporarily employed him to help them traverse the bandit-ridden forest and to safely arrive at Yellow Dirt City. But the merchants appointed him to be the head of the troop despite being the youngest, earning the ire of the other guards. It didn't help that Yong Jie was someone who wouldn't sit still when he was slighted, so he had constantly provoked the former leader of the guards during their journey.