The Chance

****

"I'm glad to see my intuition has not failed me yet."

Jeongguk jolts, spinning around on his heel at the sudden voice in his ear. His eyes go wide, grip on his basket going slack as he takes in the man standing barely a foot away. Taehyung grins, head cocking slightly, hands buried deep in his pockets. Another cardigan, Jeongguk notices. A soft green one, his pants a smart beige. Cozy, he thinks, a little distracted by the sudden visual confirmation that Taehyung is much, much broader than him.

"-Jeongguk?"

He jumps again, eyes snapping up to Taehyung's. The man's smile has faded, expression creased in concern, and he's suddenly aware that Taehyung's taken a half step closer, a hand outstretched as if to grip his shoulder.

"Are you okay? I didn't mean to startle you so bad," he says, and Jeongguk realizes he's been staring at the man like a dumbass for entirely too long, slack jawed and silent.

"No! I mean, you didn't. I'm fine. Thank you. You didn't startle me." Jeongguk rushes to say and Taehyung cocks an eyebrow at him. "You didn't!"

He's silent for a moment, and then he cracks a smile. "Uh huh," he says, clearly not believing him, and Jeongguk finds himself huffing, lips pushed into a pout. " Anyway," Taehyung continues, clearly not wanting to get in an argument in the middle of a supermarket, "what are you doing out so late, hm?"

"Late", being nearly 3 AM- and Jeongguk already having spent the last 40 minutes scouring the shelves for his favorite snacks.

"Just had a few cravings," Jeongguk says instead, and Taehyung nods as if he gets it. The lights hum overhead, crackling a little as one in the far corner of the store flickers. He rocks back on his heels, fingers gripping tighter around the handle of his basket. "Um, don't get me wrong," Jeongguk licks over his lips, suddenly nervous, "it's cool I ran into you again, but, uh-."

"Yes?" Taehyung's lips pull into a small smirk and Jeongguk can suddenly feel his heart racing in his chest, pounding against the cage of his ribs.

"Are you here because I, uh, took stuff from that lady?" Jeongguk's mouth twists and Taehyung's brows pull low over his eyes, frowning. And then, just like before, there's the strangest feeling settling over his skin and his lips loosen, words flowing. "I promise I wouldn't be stealing if I didn't really need to - you probably don't get that but I swear I'm just trying to make ends meet, and-."

"Hey, stop," Taehyung rushes forward and his hands grasp at Jeongguk's upper arms. His hands are warm, Jeongguk thinks distantly. His thumbs press into his biceps, centering him as he ducks his head slightly to make sure Jeongguk is meeting his eyes. "I was never going to turn you in, Jeongguk, I promise. I would never do that."

Jeongguk scoffs, but doesn't pull back from Taehyung's hold. "You're just gonna let a known thief walk away?" He asks, brow raising, and it's then that Taehyung lets out a little laugh, expression brightening a bit.

"I'd be a bit hypocritical if I did, sweetheart," he says, and Jeongguk's eyes widen. "I'm not in the business of legality either," he adds with a wink. Taehyung shrugs then finally releases Jeongguk, although he doesn't step away. "Actually, in relation, I'm glad I ran into you." Taehyung reaches into his cardigan pockets and Jeongguk blinks rather dumbly as the newest iPhone is held out to him. "Could I get your number?"

Later, Jeongguk will be unable to put a finger on what exactly pushed him to agree, but he'll always be thankful he did.

"Yeah, of course," he says, and he nearly scrambles to take it from his hands, staring at the empty contact form. He types in his number almost on autopilot, leaving the name and photo blank. "Here," he hands it back, and Taehyung smiles as he types in something, locking it and shoving it back in his sweater pockets. "Wait, um, why did you want my number?" Jeongguk asks belatedly, brow furrowing, and Taehyung gives him a little laugh.