Questions and Unwanted Answers

Start from the beginning

"And brought me here."

"Yes." Harry said again, sounding a little unsure of where this conversation was leading.

"You are a very unusual wizard. How did you come by this sword?"

"It's complicated. Why did Bellatrix Lestrange think it should be in her vault at Gringotts?"

"It's complicated."

The goblin clearly wasn't going to give us answers until we gave him the answers he wanted. Harry stood his ground and stayed quiet, daring the goblin to give up and answer first.

"The sword presented itself to us in a moment of need. We didn't steal it." I answered.

The goblin nodded, seemingly accepting my answer.

"There is a sword in Madam Lestrange's vault identical to this one, but it is a fake. It was placed there this past summer."

"And she never suspected it was a fake?" Harry asked.

"The replica is very convincing. Only a goblin would recognize that this is the true sword of Gryffindor."

"Who is the aqquantince?" Hermione spoke up from beside me.

"A Hogwarts professor. As I understand it, he's now headmaster."

"Snape?" Ron asked. "He put a fake sword in Bellatrix's vault? Why?"

"There are more than a few curious things in the vaults at Gringotts." He answered gravely, just wanting the conversation to be over.

"And in Madam Lestrange's vault as well?" Harry pressed on.

"Perhaps."

"I need to get into Gringotts into one of the vaults."

"This is impossible."

"Alone, yes, but with you, no."

The goblin clasped his hands together in thought before asking. "Why should I help you?"

"He just saved your bloody life." I snapped. "Or would you rather be at Malfoy Manor right now?"

The goblin meerly rolled his eyes in response.

"I have gold. Lots of it." Harry offered.

"I have no intrest in gold."

"Then what?"

His eyes fell on the sword in the corner of the room. He pointed to it. "That. That is my price."

Harry sighed. 

"Then we have a deal."

Hermione, Harry, Ron, and I then exited the room and huddled together in the small hallway.

"Are you thinking there's a horcrux in Bellatrix's vault?" Hermione whispered.

"Well, she was terrified when she though we'd been in there. She kept asking y/n what else we'd taken. I bet you anything there's a horcrux in there, another peice of his soul. Let's find it and kill it, and then we're one step closer to killing him." Harry answered.

"And what happens when we find it? How are we supposed to destory it now you've given the sword to Griphook?"

"Stupid name for a stupid goblin." I muttered.

If anyone can't tell, I'm mad that we have to give up the sword.

"I'm still working on that part." Harry said as he turned the door knob to the room adjacent to Griphook's.

He pushed open the door to reveal another bedroom. Ollivander was sitting in a rocking chair in the corner.

"Yes?" He asked when we noticed our presence.

"Mr. Ollivander, I need to ask you a few questions." Harry said as he moved further into the room.

"Anything, my boy, anything."

At least someone is appreciative we saved them from their death besides Luna.

"Would you mind identifying this wand? We need to know it's safe to use."

Harry sat down on the edge of the bed and handed Ollivander a dark brown twisted looking wand. 

"Walnut. Dragon heartstring. 12 and 3/4 inches. Unyielding. This belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange. Treat it carefully." Ollivander said before handing Harry back the wand.

Harry handed him the next wand.

"And this?"

I recognized the wand. It was Draco's. We traded wands one day in fourth year. Didn't go so well. 

He accidently blew up a potion in Snape's classroom and we both got detention.

"Hawthorn and unicorn hair. 10 inches. Reasonably pliant. This was the wand of Draco Malfoy."

"Was?" I repeated.

"Is it not still?" Harry asked.

"Well, perhaps not, if you won it from him. I sense it's allegiance has changed."

"You talk about wands as if they have feelings, can think." Harry said slowly.

"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. That much has always been clear to those of us who have studied wandlore." He turned to me. "I know that that wand you hold, y/n, is not truly the wand that chose you."

"It's gone. This one seems to work fine." I waved off, though I did really miss my old wand. This one is great I just feel as if it's not really mine.

"Come here, dear girl."

I sat down next to Harry on the edge of the bed.

"I remember the day you walked into my shop. You went on and on about how exited you were to attend school in Bulgaria. The man with you, your father, I recognized him immediately as a deatheater.  I hoped for you to be good, unlike him, and it seems you are."

I smiled lightly at his words. 

I remember that day at Ollivander's. To think if I hadn't gone to Durmstrang or Beaxbatons, I would have gotton to go to Hogwarts sooner. Met my family sooner.

Found my soulmate sooner.

I decided to change the subject. Thinking of soulmates only makes me sad. I know Harry is mine, he has to be. I could never imagie loving someone as much as I love him.

 And that's what worries me most. 

"The elder wand. You told him where it was?"

"I was tortured. For weeks I didn't give in. Tried to buy whoever was putting a stop to him some time but I had to give in." He explained solemly.

I don't blame him. There were many times when I wanted to give up and just become a deatheater for a momentary relief. The difference between Ollivander and I was, I had more to fight for.

"He has found it, sir. The elder wand." Harry said as he took the wand back from him.

Ollivander's expression fell even more.

"I'm sorry."

None of us said anything. It's not really something you can forgive easily.

"We'll let you rest." Harry said finally.

We got up to leave. Just as we were about to exit the door, Ollivander spoke up again.

"He's after you, Mr. Potter. If it's true. what you say, and he has the elder wand....I'm afraid you really don't stand a chance."

"Well, I suppose I'll have to kill him before he finds me, then."

--------------------------------

(1939 Words - Published January 21, 2021)