Special: To Fight like a Pirate [Seunghyeon x Kwangsun]

Magsimula sa umpisa

"And two. This is a learning opportunity for all of you. So pay attention," he said and nodded. "That's it. Insoo will be the ref and we'll start at his go."

Seunghyeon and Kwangsun stood in the center and Kwangsun patted his shoulder. "Remember your strengths. Don't rely on brute force. There's no way you can knock me down," he said and Seunghyeon rolled his eyes, shrugging his arm off.

"Don't pretend you're teaching me anything," Seunghyon scoffed. He knew that already, especially when he only came up to Kwangsun's chin.

The ship's navigator–Cheung, Insoo joined them in the middle. "Ready?" he asked and Kwangsun nodded.

Seunghyeon held up his sword, his heart pounding in his ears. "Ready."

Insoo stepped back and held his arm up high, dropping it as he yelled "Start!"

Kwangsun swung his sword and Seunghyeon yelped, ducking down and cowering; his sword clattering against the deck.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kwangsun asked, stepping back. There was a burst of laughter from the crowd and Seunghyeon's ears went red.

Gritting his teeth, he grabbed his sword again and stood up. "I was just warming up," he grumbled. He had to remember what he learned from Daehyun. What would Daehyun say now?

Be defensive. Quick. Light on your feet.

Seunghyeon widened his stance and held his sword with both hands, giving a nod to Insoo.

"Start!"

Kwangsun slashed an onslaught of waves and Seunghyeon jumped back barely missing the tip of his sword. Heart pounding, Seunghyeon bounced on his toes, ducking and scurrying across the deck.

Distracted by Kwangsun's furrowed brows, Seunghyeon stepped back onto someone's foot. He gasped and fumbled back, falling into the crowd.

Kwangsun lowered his sword. "Are you stupid?" he snapped. Seunghyeon flinched and squeaked as Kwangsun grabbed his forearm and pulled him up. "What the hell was that?"

Seunghyeon gulped, gripping his sword. "I'm quick on my feet," he said and squared his shoulders. "You were the one who said to use my strengths," he said, crossing his arms.

Frowning, Kwangsun looked away and sighed. "Yeah, that works one-on-one. But you're on a pirate ship now. Do you think it's easy to just run away from your opponent?"

Seunghyeon pressed his lips into a thin line, and Kwangsun continued.

"When you're in battle. You can't run away from the enemy because there is no place to run," he said, poking Seunghyeon's shoulder. "They'll be enemies everywhere you turn. You run from one straight into another. So use that sword for something and cause some damage."

"B-but, what about the rules?"

Kwangsun let out an exasperated sigh. "There are no rules when your life's on the line"–he leaned in–"fighting to live is fighting dirty," Kwangsun sighed and stepped back. " But you can't seem to do that, so we're done here."

Seunghyeon swallowed the lump in his throat as Kwangsun walked away. He looked over to Taeyong and Myungsuk, their thoughts written all over their faces.

It's too dangerous. Please stand down.

Sucking in his breath, he tore away, focusing on the sword in his hand, his eyes blurring with tears. He wished Daehyun-Hyung was here right now. He'd tell Seunghyeon exactly what to do.

Seunghyeon closed his eyes. Back home in the courtyard, Daehyun would go over his military training, teaching Seunghyeon different techniques. They'd spare while Myungsuk cheered him on and Taeyong watched through his fingers.